school stationery

al

Can anyone give me an idea of what my children will need for their first day at maternalle (4yrs) and primary (9yrs) as we registered them on the last day of term so things were a bit rushed. Thanks

For the 9 year old ,off the top of my head.  Pens pencils ruler rubber, pencil sharpener(with its own shavings collector) whiteboard with effacer, effacer pens for stylo plume(blue at one end, white at the other) Cahire de texte (a diary for day to day homework) a roughbook, pencil crayons(coloured) felttips, scissors about 3 pencil cases to keep everything in. glue , sellotape, compas, triangle and a calculator. A very  strong cartable(sac a dos-rucksack) to carry it all in.

cant help much with the 4 year old I`m affraid.

For stylo-plume, I recommend the PILOT "calligraphie" ones, with the plume fine or plume moyenne. Even if your child's handwriting isn't the greatest, the pen makes it superb! Practice a bit with you child before school starts.

For maternelle, if your child stays the full day, you might want to put knickers (underpants) in a small plastic bag rolled at the bottom of your child school satchel. The satchel/rucksack/backpack is usually small and cute.There are no books to carry and the school will give your child the notebook needed.

To make the child feel important (carrying an empty school bag is kind of undignified for a 4-year-old going to school :->), you may want to place a cahier and a little trousse with a pen, a couple pencils,  'craies grasses' or sort of... plastic coloured pencils, not with wood and lead... You may also add une ardoise (slate with pen, or white erasable board ~ 8X10 with an erasable marker...) Nothing's mandatory though.

A little gouter (juice box, a few cookies, apple slices..) may be expected at some schools. Some schools serve the morning gouter, others expect kids to bring something for the whole class once a month, other schools just let kids bring whatever they want for themselves.

Best of luck to you and your children! Enjoy! :-)

Just like an old-fashioned slate, sometimes with squares on one side and plain on the other. Very good for mental arithmetic or spellings. I've seen them used in the UK, and I assume they are used the same way in France. Teacher asks a question, kids write their answers on their whiteboards and hold them up, then wipe off and repeat.

There are usually a selection of folders required too and some hole-punched plastic pockets.  Have a look on the school exterior notice board, sometimes a list is placed there, or you could ask other attendees who go to the school.  Try buying your stuff early-mid July as come end August there is never too much left!

Deby