English kids getting good grades

Unknown

Hello

The reason I'm posting this is to hopefully reasure our new, younger forum members.  I have children in 5eme and 6eme, I have had parents evening meetings for them this week and they have both received very good averages (moyennes) in all of their subjects.  I have been told they both participate well in class and have the potential to obtain very good grades for the rest of this year. 

They have been attending French school since Sept 2005 and I'm very proud of them.  I just hope this will give courage to other children taking the plunge and starting school in France sometime soon.

Dotty 

Congratulations, dotty!

Expat Brit kids seem to do very well in French schools, and usually end up near or at the top of the class.   Especially in French, oddly enough.    Brit kids are bright, it's the good start they get!  [;-)] 

I asked a teacher friend (French, in France) why she thought the standard of spelling and grammar in French was so low among the French pupils, and she said "it's their own language, they don't think about it, c'est normal".   So anyone who is of the opinion that literacy standards are falling in Britain, think again - c'est normal!  [:)]   

I know what you mean Rumzi, but it always worries me when mediocrity is regarded as normal = in either the French or English sense of the word. Dumbing down was the phrase that was quite popular recently, and that looks like yet another example.

TU

My daughter is in 5eme, she went in to French school last September and had to redouble 6eme, (for those that don't understand this, she should now be in 4eme) So far this year her overall moyenne is 16.25.  At the end of 6eme it was 14.25, so already gone up by 2.  She is taking Latin and Physics this year, having not studied either before and I have been told she obtained the highest mark in the class.

Son is in the correct class for his age, much to his sisters disgust.  In the UK he was 2 classes behind her, now its just 1.  He was in CM2 last year and I think he spent most of the year just listening.  He never had homework and seemed bored with school.  Out of all of my children he has been the slowest to pick up the French language.  But now he is in 6eme he is very motivated.  He had a couple of low marks for some of his controles, but his overall moyenne is 13.5.

They have both approached school in France in a positive way, they are both very happy and I'm very proud of them both.

Dotty

Those are excellent moyennes. They must have worked hard. You must be proud.

Sometimes non-French speaking pupils have adapted grades for the first couple of years, based on different tests to the others or a different grading system. The teachers won't necessarily tell you that they are doing this and it isn't necessarily a school wide decision; each teacher decides on their own grading system. I have never done it and was surprised to find out  that colleagues did, just as they were surprised I didn't.

I'm not saying this for Dotty's kids. I couldn't see the school letting her daughter do latin if she was on adapted grades.

I dont mind discussing moyenne.   My children have been here at school since 2003.  Currently in Premiere, 3eme and 5eme.  Moyennes currently of 10, 12 and 15 respectively.  They were certainly on adapted grades for the first couple of years, which helped with their confidence, but is a bit of a shock when their true moyenne appears.  I also think a lot depends on where the school is, I have known pupils arrive at out college from a countryside college where they were top of the class with high grades only to be middle of the road here.  My son is doing Prem S hence the work is much harder, and the 15 is a girl!!!!!!

At frst I constantly used to worry over grades and moyennes, under 15 seemed terrible to me, but after discussions with a professeur I no longer do, they all try hard which is all that matters.   Would be interested in hearing other views.

Lollie

My youngest used to get adapted grades too in one of his college privé by his prof d'anglais. His work would be marked twice, say he would get 19/20  and then another mark with' langue maternelle' next to it,which would be about 11/20. I have no idea as to which mark the prof used.

I also have no idea why the prof did that, I simply considered it yet another example of méchancité that my sons had to endure. Not that I told either boy that.

TU, that's terrible! I grade all my pupils on the same basis. i.e. I teach them something, ask them to use it and grade how well they are capable of doing it (this is why I find it hard to do adapted grades for my non-french pupils). Looking at my tests,  I wouldn't know where to start to work out a bareme for a "langue maternelle" grade.

Mistral, thankyou for those words and I just know that that is not how you work. Sometimes some threads just bring back memories, and in some ways I wish that they didn't. This sort of thing happened to the youngest all the time and to a lesser extent our oldest. For the youngest it was a nightmare and he did end up having a breakdown, it's a wonder I didn't too. 

[quote user="Bones"]
I think it's because the overall average can be dragged down by a poor showing in skipping!
[/quote]

That's not fair, you know that skipping is no longer on the curriculum [;-)]

Quite honestly, I have less complaints about the EPS grade having the same weighting as other subjects for the MG, than I do about something like education civique which is half an hour a week.