Trailer - to register or not to register

Simon

I have a trailer that I keep in France for the usual purposes.  Having just re-registered the car down there (painless and not to expensive, contrary to my prior understanding), do I have to do the same for the trailer, or can I just stick the French number on the back?  It is an Ifor Williams with manufacturer's plate on the chassis; it will handle 1400kg when laden.

S

What's the weight of the trailer? Is it open or closed?

If it's an open trailer, i.e. flatbed, single axle under 500kg you don't have to register it. If it weighs over 500kg and/or obscures the car and has two axles, i.e. like a horse trailer, then you will have to have a seperate carte grise for it. If you are still in doubt, however, you can contact Ifor Williams France on Tél 03 21 47 00 60 and they will advise you.

[quote]It is under 500kg empty, and is an open, single axle affair. It sounds like that is ok. Simon[/quote]

A point worth noting is that with a French registered car towing a trailer your insurance normally states a maximum of 750 kg max trailer weight, you would have to notify your insurance company if different to this.