Suitable car for airport pickups

mascamps.com

We don't pickup our clients at the airport all the time (though pretty frequently in the summer) and are now looking for a new car, the last one having been totally squashed by a large family.

We were doing the pickups with our Toyota RAV4 but appear to need something something somewhat more sturdy to allow for the occassional heavyweight pickup. Also, we use the car as an alternative to a small van so it needs to be able to carry things and tow a small trailer.

We generally don't pick up a lot of people (2 is most common) and seeing as we are only 20 mins from the airport we can live with having to make two trips if need be now and again (ie we don't really need a large people carrier).

As we're out in the country, we'd like something that's fairly easy on the petrol (or diesel). The Toyota was supposed to get about 30 miles to the gallon which we could sort-of live with but something that only did 20 wouldn't be viable for us (although we're getting one of those tiny 70 to the gallon cars to run about in so perhaps the second car doesn't need to be so frugal).

We'd prefer it if we could get something fulfilling the above in an automatic version but that's not essential.

Any thoughts on what might be suitable?

Purchase-wise, is it better to buy new or second-hand? I'm very wary of the second-hand prices locally which, in some cases, are higher than the new prices!

Arnold

Hi,

we're planning to use a Kia Carnival for the same sort of thing. 7 seats, great boot space, fitted luggage rack, frugal-ish 2.9 diesel engine, and a great level of comfort, drivability etc. We have the Sedona here in the UK, and had thought of re-registering it in France. Decided to sell the r/h/d and go for the Carnival instead as a leftie.

Hope this helps.

We're not using it as a taxi. We're just taking people to/from the airport to our place which is covered by normal business insurance for the car.

Taxi-service is different in that you're taking people from A to B and neither of them is your place of business which would require some sort of public transport license. In our case, the price is effectively part of the accommodation charge rather than a standalone thing ie we only pickup up people who are staying here (much to the dismay of one or two people who thought they'd save 2€ and stay a night in one of the other local hotels on their way back from hols - 2€ up, 60€ down for the taxi!).

Arnold

Indeed. It depends very much on small details like if the trip can be reserved separately from the accommodation so, in theory, if you let people arrive at the airport and then call you it might well be a "taxi" but if they need to book both accommodation and transport simultaneously then it isn't.

I certainly have done more or less similar things in the UK with no problems from insurance (which did specifically cover the situations). One of the key things was that it couldn't be a standalone feature of your job but, in practical terms, you're usually talking fairly obvious "taxi duties" if you're getting into that (and it's a lot of hassle that we can do without anyway).

Obviously if you're taking people from A to B and neither are your base then you're talking taxi but it's the "little" things as above that make up the less obvious differences.

Arnold

I have had a Citroen Xsara Picasso from new and it's coming up to three years old.  I've been very impressed by running costs (get 45-50 m.p.g. regularly) and the flexibility of the space in the back. The main reason for buying it was to take bikes inside the back (with a wheel off) plus everything needed for a long holiday in France.  It certainly has done the job well and is very comfortable for both a short (I'm 5'2") driver or tall passenger (son who's 6'2"). 

Icebird

I was originally thinking of the Picasso or Scenic (Renault's equivalent) but a friend was saying recently that he'd never buy Renault again as they're just not sturdy cars which would seem to eliminate the Picasso too as they're basically the same car. I'd welcome comments on that actually as we've other friends who were running around in a different model Renault for many years.

The Modus is basically a tiny Scenic. It looks much larger in the adverts than it is in reality.

Arnold

In my experience there is a big difference in the Citroen and Renault, I prefer Citroen's but thats because we have had all sorts of Citroen's (bring back the BX !)over 25 + years and like them.

We did have a Renault 'Espace' which was very practical especially when I was dealing in furniture but I think you would find it pretty juicy,perhaps over sized for your requirements, although its what I term 'armchair' driving.

When we were changing our car I asked here for recommendations and I think Miki gave the Zafira a high rating.

I drove a scenic automatic in the UK for ages - and loved it  (preferred it to the merc I had immediatly before) - it was a great car comfortable, sturdy - we used it to transport all sort os things around and quite nippy, we've also heard good things about the zafira..... I did test drive a picasso - but wasn't so keen on this as the scenic. I guess you've got some test driving to do

I've also heard good things about companies that help you buy new from Spain / Portugal etc and then import to france - so that may be a possibility

I bought a new Picasso here in 2000 and love it except for trying to wash to roof as I am only 5ft4. We recently had a call from the dealers asking if we would consider selling it back as it is a petrol version and sought after as a used model, the diesel versions are plentiful as occassion,but I said no even though the deal was really generous and I've only done 61000 kms from new. In terms of space you can't beat it except by a larger vehicle like the Espace and seeing a recent report,it is a very safe vehicle in an impact unlike the Crysler Voyager which is not safety conscious in tests. My kids are both nearly 6ft and fit well with plenty of headroom to spare when they come out with us.If you go direct to the Citroën factory near Rennes you can buy them a hell of a lot cheaper than the dealers and still get the same warranties,wish we had known that at the time as this is what our friend did and saved a packet. One of the hospital taxi cars here uses a Picasso for their clients and I have seen several ordinary taxis using them as well.

No-one's mentioned it, so I will. The newest versions of the Scenic include a 7-seater, which is worth considering.

Renault are so far running ahead of most of the competition in terms of safety, most of their new range having achieved the full 5-star Euro N-Cap rating, so if safety is a big consideration, they are certainly well worth a look. You'll probably get a better deal with Citroen, however, as they're struggling to get market share so they do discount like mad.

Modus is a glorified Nissan Micra (for that's what it is, underneath), so a bit tiny, as others have said.

Jane

Hi

I know of a VW transporter 8 seater, syncro for sale at a good price and in terrific condition. I can think of none better and the price will grab your attention. I have one myself, its a TDI and is practically bomb proof, but still rather smart.

PM me if you need the details

Andrew