ANY ONE ELSE HEARD THE LATEST !!!

les Favets

There are two or three persons in our area who have found that  ( clue only: Black horse of the City ) are insuring Enlglish registered vehicles of Brits living permanently in France and what is more they are cheaper then local French assurnce.  I can't understnd how these vehicles can reenter England for hols with no road tax no French nr plates and not be charged.  Any thoughts

Regards Royston

www.ruralfranceholidays.com

Probably the same as UK companies who insure property in France,happy to take your hard-earned money to pay for this insurance but wait until you try to claim off them - they don't want to know,refuse to send an assessor to look at the claim because its overseas and don't pay out no matter how much info they receive. I've lost count of the number of insurance estimates I have done for people here who insure in the UK who never get a penny back,when will they learn?

Hi Royston

I don't know what you're on, but can you send me a bottle!

You said:-

there are two or three persons in our area who have found that ( clue only: Black horse of the City ) are insuring Enlglish registered vehicles of Brits living permanently in France and what is more they are cheaper then local French assurnce. I can't understnd how these vehicles can reenter England for hols with no road tax no French nr plates and not be charged. Any thoughts

======

What does insurance have to do with road tax and French number plates? Why shouldn't Lloyds insure french registered cars?

In France (in case you hadn't noticed) they've abandoned road tax. As for number plates.... well if Brits are silly enough to think they can get away with using brit plates indefinitely, I've got a bridge or two for sale.

Mind you, if they're dumb enough to try to take the cars back to the UK on Brit plates and no road tax....

[quote]There are two or three persons in our area who have found that ( clue only: Black horse of the City ) are insuring Enlglish registered vehicles of Brits living permanently in France and what is more ...[/quote]

If anyone has a real interest in keeping a Brit car on Brit plates in France with the British insurers named , then why not give them a ring and  try and find out the truth.

Much simpler just to either re reg the car or sell it and buy a French one.

Mrs O

You missed one small point : I didn't say they were covering French number plated vehicles, infact when my son in law telephoned the Brokers to change his insurance agency because the insurance being offered was less expensive on indicating it was for his FRENCH registered vehicle, they wouln't cover him.  It seems only English registered number plates are covered.  Also one person mentioned, has claimed with no problem.  Beats me because I can't understand it and can't believe it is legal

Regards Royston

www.ruralfranceholidays.com

Well I suppose if they continue to pay British road tax and have the car MOT'd then it IS legal - but how many do?  Most want the best of both worlds, ie cheaper insurance from the UK but the benefit of no road tax in France

Hi

you said

You missed one small point : I didn't say they were covering French number plated vehicles, infact when my son in law telephoned the Brokers to change his insurance agency because the insurance being offered was less expensive on indicating it was for his FRENCH registered vehicle, they wouln't cover him.  It seems only English registered number plates are covered.  Also one person mentioned, has claimed with no problem.  Beats me because I can't understand it and can't believe it is legal

You're right. I missed the "English registered". Keeping an English registered car here permanently in France is indeed illegal. The owners will either have to have it registered or get rid of it abd buy a new one, eventually. As is so often the case here in France, the Authorities probably don't want to be seen to be hassling foreigners.

I had a cracking experience getting insured over here...

Cancelled my UK insurance (no longer had my english bank acct etc etc) and asked them to send a NCB statement - my french broker said I needed it before any french company would touch me. 4 months later (not insured at all for that period!!!) they finally managed to send the correct letter. Every time I rang them I mentioned that I wasn't insured and got them to verbaly confirm exactly what they were going to state in the letter - each time the representative commented that they were shocked that the last idiot I spoke to hadn't got it right....

Anyway it's all sorted now - my french insurers have requested that I re-register the car within 'a few months', this would seem to conform with the legal requirement of re-registering your vehicle 3 months after moving to France. Can't wait, I'll feel like a proper frenchman then!

Anyhow, a mechanic friend recently related the story of another english guy over here who neglected to re-register his vehicle whilst under french insurance for 3 years....Popped into his insurers one day and let the fact slip - they told him that he would be 'legal' if stopped by the police but that the chances of him successfuly claiming on the policy were exactly zero.