Changing plates and driving licence points

trevoraki

I have been resident in France 47 for the last two and a half years and have previously imported my car which is plated as 47.  I am also on a UK driving licence.

We have now sold and vacated (21 Oct 2005) the 47 house and moved, temporarily, to a rented holiday let in 33.

We are now in the process of purchasing a new house which is once again in 47 but we will not be able to take up residence until three months time, approximately 01 March 2006.

Shortly before we moved from our 47 address I was clocked for speeding. I paid the fine via the web and got a receipt. However it mentioned that I had incurred a 1 point penalty.

Is there any urgency to sort out the following before moving to my new address in March.

a) My driving licence.

b) My vehicle plates.

Trevoraki

Thanks for the info. I didn't realise it was a month. But then I didn't realise it was free.

What about the points to my licence. a) Should I, as I've read in some postings to the forum, change it to a French one? It is not clear in the postings what the correct thing is. I'm not sure I like the advice of "Wait until you are told to by the police".

[quote user="trevoraki"]

Thanks for the info. I didn't realise it was a month. But then I didn't realise it was free.

What about the points to my licence. a) Should I, as I've read in some postings to the forum, change it to a French one? It is not clear in the postings what the correct thing is. I'm not sure I like the advice of "Wait until you are told to by the police"

[/quote]

The points will be held on the police computer, so don't clock up another eleven points or get stopped by a gendarmes for another motoring offence and you should be ok and keep your UK licence

What about if you have a French Licence. I was asked this on Sunday, a friend got done, they took the money and gave him a slip of paper which said he had lost a point but he does not know what to do next. I thought they did it on the spot by changing something on the licence. I have a new UK one so I don't have a clue.

I did read somewhere a while back that all EU licences and points system will me 'harmonized' within the EU by 2007. If it is it will be a first

It is all logged at the Prefecture (and of course, the sous prefecture

plus anywhere else I guess with access to the neccessary wotsit). Your

licence does not get anything stamped on it. If anyone wants to know

how many points they have lost, simply call in at your nearest one and

ask them. "Normal" offences, time for resting on your "licence" is 3

years before being scrubbed off.