RE: French Leave

WJT

The details are correct - though the main title of the programme is 'Focus' (French Leave is a sub-title, not to be confused with the Channel 4 programme of the same name about John Burton Race). I think it may only be transmitted in the Meridian region. If you have Sky somebody should be able to tell you how to add Meridian to your channel line-up. I'm sure it can be done fairly easily, but don't ask me how

just checked 7.30 pm on meridian

Focus
ITV Channel Tue Mar 29 7:30 PM
1 (30 min., United Kingdom, Education/Science/Factual Topics)

Add to My Calendar

Debbie Thrower goes to France to find out why some British families who bought into the dream of living abroad have found life on the continent tougher than they bargained for and are now selling up and coming home.

Presenter:Debbie Thrower.
best regards                 

We watched this in anticipation last night as I think it is important to see both sides of the "argument" so to speak.  From our perspective we felt it was a little wishy-washy - certainly the people they focussed on had their own problems which might have occured anywhere in the world, not specifically France.  We marvel at the way some people overstretch themselves financially however to have the "dream house".  The only sensible quote came from one writer who made some observations about gite ownership.  This programme, as previously stated, is on Meridien, therefore a lot of folks won't get to see it.

As far as we were concerned, it just made us even more sure to do our revision prior to the big move!

You missed nothing. As Sarnia said it was all too wishy washy.

It was just a pretty poor attempt at showing problems that people have and why they went back but again, their problems were not solely with France and some were personal reasons.

Not a good documentary at all, in fact, it was worse than anything Nigel has come up with thus far !!

I think it could best be described as a missed opportunity.

The potential stories were there - the difficulty of finding work, getting teenagers with learning difficulties into the French systems, costs spiralling out of control, feeling of isolation on ones own in a strange country, but was still viewed through the proverbial rose tints. As others said, it could have been anywhere. It only followed two families, with a short interview in the middle with somebody who had written a book, and that interview was the only bit that made a lot of sense.

I saw just the last 10 minutes (switched it on immediately after seeing it on the Forum), but I did like the attitude of the couple who where going back to Dorset, regarding it as part of life's experience. I think you have to take risks in life otherwise it is not worth living.

Monika

I watched the programme and cried nearly all the way through it as i am a "work widow" whilst my husband works in uk and comes over thurs to sun when i then have t cope with the house and 3 school age children. I am desperate to work and my french is improving all the time but sometimes i feel that shutting up shop and running back to GB.But yes some of those pepole should have known better and planned more and realised the grass isnt always greener just a different shade!

[quote]I watched the programme and cried nearly all the way through it as i am a "work widow" whilst my husband works in uk and comes over thurs to sun when i then have t cope with the house and 3 school age...[/quote]

Anyone not afraid of hard work and wants to learn on the job should come to sunny Charente Maritime! Our stone mason cannot get workers for love nor money!

Quote: I watched the programme and cried nearly all the way through it as i am a "work widow" whilst my husband works in uk and comes over thurs to sun when i then have t cope with the house and 3 school age...

My husband,too, works in the UK during the week, and I only have 2 boys at school - but I don't feel the same way as you at all! I lead a very busy life over here while he is in the UK, French classes on a Monday, day spent with a French friend every Tuesday, Wednesday - no school for the youngest, then table tennis and solfege in the afternoon. Thursdays I do my shopping, and/or lunch with friends and on a Friday when hubby is home, we try and go out to lunch somewhere before he has his French lesson in the afternoon. I have been approached about 3 or 4 part-time jobs, but don't have the time to fit them in, especially as somewhere in the week there has to be housework, gardening, dogs, horse and donkey to look after!! We spend weekends as a family - my husband and sons play table-tennis for the local town, and husband and eldest son (aged 13) do Ball Trap as well.
I agree that it can be tough coping with children on your own, especially a teenager son who stretches my patience to the limit, and my husband finds it hard to adjust back into the choas that is family life at weekends, but, on balance, we are all prefering life in France. How long have you been here? - perhaps things will become easier for you if you can make a few friends that you can have a moan with.
And just think, when your husband is not here, you can have ALL the bed, watch what you want to on the telly after the kids have gone to bed, and you don't have to cook big meals in the evenings as the kids eat at school!!

All the best

Chris