Car Insurance

I see a lot of posters on here talking about green cards (I'm assuming that's an extension on their UK insurance to enable them to drive over here) and so on. As we're all part of Europe now, I'm very surprised to see this and would have assumed you would be insured anywhere in Europe. My insurance here in France covers me for travel to the UK and other European countries, I am just surprised to see it not standard in the UK.

Most, if not all UK policies cover you to drive in Europe on 3rd party risks, but a green card extends your fully comprehensive cover, and in some cases gives free european breakdown cover and bail bonds in Spain. It may be that with France havng borders with other Euro countries they do not see a significant risk change in their clients driving in those other bordering countries whereas in the UK there is a significant increase in costs of vehicle recovery etc in the event of an incident abroad.

While we are on the subject of insurance, I was talking to a brit here the other day who has a european cover insurance on a UK motor policy which he reckons covers his UK reg  car while in France, he lives here 90% of the time, but the insurance is registered to a UK address, is he storing up trouble for the future if he were to make a claim for an incident in France?.

As you say,probably 3rd. party only,but he may have annual comprehensive(offered by Saga and a couple of other companies and they put some restrictions on-read the small print).There have been people in the past who say that their company offers 30 day cover and they could claim that they have only just entered France a couple of days earlier.The answer to that is Insurance companies are not stupid-"can we see your ticket stubs,c/card receipts etc.".

Yes it will only provide 3rd party only and my insurances want notifying of foreign travel each time we come over so they know how many days we have used[:(] So claiming as above would not work, I managed to find a policy for our main car that provides 60 days green card cover, so by using both cars throughout the year I get 90 days in total[:)]

Reminds me must phone them tomorrow as we are coming over on Thursday [;-)]