CITROENC5 WATER LEAK

chirpy

I have 2001 estate Citroen C5  and noticed a lot of water enters  rear footwell via rear door.

Local garage said it is wear of seals which i think is rubbish as car normally used with 2 in front.Seems worst when car parked in heavy rain.A new door was fitted a year ago following a small srape on wall when moving off .

I NOTICE SEAL ON ACTUAL DOOR IS LIKE A VELCRO MATERIAL WHICH IS WET.-this seal only around top half of door.

Anyone know of this problem or any recalls made before I visit Maindealer who is not that helpfull.

I also pay a guarantee of 50 euro /month but local garage states seal not covered.

thanks.[:@]

I have not heard of it being a problem on C5 unlike the Plurial ( AKA Pluvial) which had and has real problems.

In BXs you could open the doors on a locked car by gently bending frame outwards, you had to bend back afterwards to regain wind and rain seal. Not sure how flexiable C5 doors are.

Link below also mentions problem but not solution

http://www.ciao.co.uk/Citroen_C5_1_8__Review_5448521

Ab

Sorry but I do not understand your problem or your question, what does

"  i think is rubbish as car normally used with 2 in front.Seems worst when car parked in heavy rain" mean?

If a lot of water enters the car via the rear door and when it rains heavily, then the seals on the rear door are not doing their job, ie they are worn.  Which I think is what your garage said..  Why do you think they are talking rubbish?

I think garage talking rubbish because only my wife and I normaly  in car -we are retired and  rear seats and doors are used only occasionally .I would expect wear on drivers door naturally but only one of rear doors leaking and this is one which was also replaced last year .Sorry I did not make it clearer.

I had a water leak in one of our cars, water managed to find it's way into the boot.

I actually spent 10 minutes lying on the folded down seats, with my head in the boot, while youngest son "rained" on the car with a hosepipe, but could find no evidence of where the water was coming in, even with a torch and a roll of tissue.

Eventually, I did find it, and it had nowt to do with boot/rear door seals. In mine, it was coming across the top of the rear light unit on the n/s, as the sticky stuff used to bed the lights had picked up muck over the years, and gone hard, eventually failing.

Cure was to remove rear light unit, remove all old sticky stuff, and re-seat light unit in a new bed of that awful grey stuff like non-setting mastic, that they use on caravans.

I WOULD recommend you get into the boot area, though, and try and watch where water is coming through, while someone simulates rain for you..........although round here at the mo, we don't need to simulate it, the real stuff is here often enough. About 4 inches last week.

Alcazar

Thanks.I have had a lot of water and at last this week main dealer is to look at it ince i pay 50euro a month guarantee.!!!!!!!

The so called expert said it will be coming through the door speaker.but i have never seen any moisture here and i am positive it travels arond the door seal and enters at the bottom over the main rubber seal connected to the car body.

willlet you know if o.k.

HAVE YOU HAD ANY OTHER PROBLEMS?

I WILL JOIN THE YAHOO LINK.

I have had several small problems such as1) safety belt does not contract always and then jammed in door.

2)SMELL OF BURNING RUBBER ONLY FROM A REAR TYRE -i think it is tyre rubbing against plastic inside mudguard panel.garage could not find problem!!!!!!!!!!

3)SQEAKING BRAKES.-a citroen speciality saves you using the horn!!!!!!!!!

4)pollution control light making reduction in speed until garage swiches computer adjustment diagnosis on and resets it in a minute. not helpful if you happen to be driving  a long distance and not near a garage.where have all the proper mechanics gone -we cannot twinkle with our own cars now but that is supposed to be progress.!!!

5)navigation control not working for months but after writing to Paris office received an avoir -or credit note for 200 euro .now working in all languages except English so nearly repaired but i suppose i am getting french lessons on the move.!!!!!

6)Difficult access to remove rear lights plastic covers .

7)only breakdown occurred when panel said stop as brakes problem-in fact some sensor below brake pedal prevented me from driving.

8)heavy om tyre wear on they are expensive at 250 euro each.-when my guarantee finished at the end of the year will look at alternatives but it is claimed they will give different driving properties.

Otherwise the automatic 2.2 diesel estate has run since jan.2002 over 106,000km's. giving good comfortable drive with loads of space for those trips to the garden centre-even managed to squeeze in a trailor for the lawn mower,-and the u.k.

alan.

Otherwise drove 105000km

I'm on my third Citroen, a Xantia 2.0HDi, and I definitely would NOT have another.

My first was a ZX, nice enough, but the suspension was suspect.

My second was an early Xantia, my wife wrote it off, (and walked away from it without a scratch).

This last one was bought off my dad when he stopped driving, to replace the written off one.

It's first fault was a fuel leak when filled to the top. Turned out that the neck on the tank where the sender fits, had gone oval, a KNOWN fault, but would Citren even help me with the repair, (new tank), ? Nope.

It's second fault, a blown foglight bulb at the front n/s. Apparently it's dealer fit, bumper-off job, and costs nearly £100 to do, plus VAT! Ridiculous![:@] It can do without!

Now the suspension is hard, and bangs about. It's had new spheres on the rear, but is no better. There's an annoying bumping rattle from the tailgate area, and the brakes squeak. It's only done 65000 miles in 6 and a half years. Never again.

Alcazar

• 2 weeks later...
I had a similar problem with a Renault5 years ago - I did the same

thing as said earlier and spent ages with a hosepipe having covered the

inside with tissue paper.  I managed to trace it to a break in the

plastic membrane inside the door directing water in! 

(With a French car you don't really need another hobby - my ZX has done

304000km and did another 1200km this week while my "new" 607 goes wrong

even when is left home)

Last friday citroen expert said the door speaker will be the problem  and left car with them.

As we have had lots of rain i park outside house as garage full as normal(junk quotes my wife)-

the proble then shows up again and as i keep telling the garage I live with the car and know where water is arriving onto bottom seal but never felt a wet door panel near the speakers-and if you examine the top of door a velcro type material is always wetter than the other 3 doors and water does not enter them.!!!!!!!!!!

They agreed to try and fit the whole seal on the body of the car although i suggested they may be able to adjust the door nearer to the body.

So the main dealer said he would have to order the seal and call me.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

ANOTHER DAY WASTED AND 60 MILE TRIP.WHY CAN,T MAIN DEALERS HAVE A MINIMUM OF SPARES FOR AT LEAST THE NEWER MODELS IS BEYOND ME>>>>>>>>>>>>

Watch this space for next instalment-I wager it is not cured or I will eat my hat or get drunk.

p.s. the citroen c5 yahoo link is excellent and like a car owners club -lots of info .If there is a similiar one for other makes I would recommend you link to it as it seems to be worldwide.[:'(][8-)]