Using one 12 volt battery instead of two 6volt batteries?

Le 47

I hope someone out there can help with this one.

I have a tractor that is set up to use two 6 volt batteries in series. They are 165 AH each.

Could I install a single 12 volt battery of a similar rating?

Thanks

Bill

You can probably get away with a lot less amp/hours than that provided you are not going to do repeated cold starts in the depth of winter.Look for a high CCA(cold cranking amps),probably 500+.

Bill

Are you sure that the connection between the two batteries doesn't have a wire that drives something at 6volts.

Just wondering why someone would have fitted two six volt batteries in place of a twelve volt one.

[quote user="fulcrum"]Bill
Are you sure that the connection between the two batteries doesn't have a wire that drives something at 6volts.

Just wondering why someone would have fitted two six volt batteries in place of a twelve volt one.
[/quote]

Check, but that isn't likely - not good design!

Why 2 batteries? Depends on the age of the vehicle - until recently, large capacity batteries were also physically large. Nowadays, a single 12V battery is smaller than a 6V one with the same capacity.... Remember the early MGB's? No, I don't either. Too young. Honest.

[quote user="nicktrollope"]

[quote user="fulcrum"]Bill

[/quote]

Check, but that isn't likely - not good design!

Why 2 batteries? Depends on the age of the vehicle - until recently, large capacity batteries were also physically large. Nowadays, a single 12V battery is smaller than a 6V one with the same capacity.... Remember the early MGB's? No, I don't either. Too young. Honest.

[/quote]

I had a 1974 BGT and that had 2 x 6volt batteries under the back seat whereas my 1963 and 1964 Alpines both had a 12volt battery under the back seat, my 1968 MG Midget had a 12volt at the back of the engine bay .. never did figure out why the MGB's were like that LOL[8-)]

They and a number of other cars used two squarish 6v. batteries rather than one long battery besause of space reasons.The tractor probably used them for the same reasons as a single battery of that capacity would be huge and hard to fit under a tractor bonnet.Most modern cars use batteries of 44-55 A/Hrs.In fact some Renaults and Citroens were down in the 20-30 levels-that's m/cycle type level.and is done maimly to save weight.Modern batteries tend to have thin plastic cases and are much smaller and lighter than the old rubber cases and purer chemicals in the manufacture have improved efficiencies.

Thanks for all the replies which have been very helpful.

There are no separate 6v connections.  I borrowed a 12v battery from a friend which fits in one of the two battery slots AND bingo it works well and I have started my tractor without any problem at all.

Bill

[quote user="Le 47"]

Thanks for all the replies which have been very helpful.

There are no separate 6v connections.  I borrowed a 12v battery from a friend which fits in one of the two battery slots AND bingo it works well and I have started my tractor without any problem at all.

Bill

[/quote]

hi

it will do  this time of year ,but just try and start it when it`s 20 below!!!!!

dave

Which is why I recommended going to a battery with high CCA(I don't know the French for it)but most high CCA batteries(normally used for diesels)will have the letters CCA and a figure shown on them somewhere.Even quite a small battery will start you for most of the year provided it's in a good state of charge and there are no problems with the cold start equipment on your engine.