Wanting Land.

This is a follow on from the land comments in the retirement thread, but as it's deviating from the original posters questions, I've decided to start a new thread.

I can understand the desire for land, especially when you've lived in an cramped urban environment, with a pocket handkerchief garden, having land of your own gives a feeling of freedom.

But I have another reason for keeping my eye on the small paddock in front of my Savoie Cottage, if it ever comes up for sale I shall try to buy it to prevent anyone from building on it.

I can understand your comments on  buying the land to stop building.

Up until 2 months ago we lived in a beautiful hamelt on the edge of a forest, 2 mins from a village with all shops and things you would need daily. The whole hamlet was french apart from us and they really looked after their property, all old french cottages renovated, lovely large gardens, which they maintained all the time. Their age ranges were 30 to 50 odd with one old gent of about 70, and one couple with two children.

We bought our house there because it was such an ideal spot and lived their happily for 2 years.

On the edge of the hamlet is a chateau owned by a ductch couple and a farm owned by the father of one of the hamlet inhabitants. The farm came up for sale with all its land as the guy retired and the dutch have bought it all, lock stock and barrell, so that no-one can build on it.

They are going to farm it on a small scale, already employed two of the hamlet but now employ three to work on the chateau and farm.

I don't think it NIMBY but a nice thing to do if you can afford it, it will ensure the hamlet stays lovely with no pink boxes for years to come. We would have done the same had we had the money. 

The paddock in front of me is actually "House Locked" (not that you would know from my front step) and my drive is really the only access to it, so I guess I could halt development (Three other houses have right of access, but I don't think that would extend to new dwellings that needed a road over my lawn? There is one other way into the paddock but that is barely wider than a single car. So, I think I'm safe, but if it comes up and I can afford it... OK OK OK the real reason for wanting it is to justify a sit on mower!

I for one certainly don't blame you for wanting to buy the land. We almost bought a house that would have had a serious problem with a neighbouring barn. I just gave my explanation in Retirement in France. For those that try and make fun of those that want more land may not have these issues. However, I would have the same concerns as you because as Dordognecarol mentioned the pink boxes do seem pop up in strange places particularly on the outskirts of villages like ours. We looked at one very beautiful farmhouse and could not understand why the asking price was what it was and learned that a Dutch fellow was building dozens of the things in the field just opposite.

[quote]I for one certainly don't blame you for wanting to buy the land. We almost bought a house that would have had a serious problem with a neighbouring barn. I just gave my explanation in Retirement in Fr...[/quote]

The reason why so many little pavilions are popping up here, there and everywhere is that there is a directive from the French government that all the communes, according to size, have to release land for new builds. It is a good idea to keep abreast of where these will come as some of them  get permission for building right next to exisiting houses. If you find out a piece of open land next door maybe taken for building, then you might be able to negotiate its purchase but beware land with building permission is always more expensive than agricultural land. Therefore if you are worried that this may happen, it is best to negotiate a purchase before the building permission is granted.

Many communes are  now feeling the pinch, are indeed very poor and their finances even in the "rouge" so it is in their interests to sell off land for new houses. Villages and hamlets are expanding and the "new little boxes" are certainly springing up all over the countryside. Whether this helps fill local schools depends on whether the commune has previously closed some classes. If this is the case then some of the new youngsters will have to go to the next town for both maternelle and schooling.

We have French friends who have purchased a field or two just to protect their privacy. I am not sure what happens in the case of compulsory purchase.

Gill (99 & 17)

I can understand folks buying land so they know no building will go on next door. The down side of this is what the heck do you do with it?

We have a small field next to our garden which was included in the purchase price, about 4500 square metres. Now this field takes about 2 hours to mow and ok so I am retired and have the time to do it. If I don't do it the grass gets very high and walking there is a problem not to mention the strange lurking beasties like boar! I mow it with the thought in mind that local farmers might not be too keen to see it growing lots of weeds which spread into their fields. The general advice seems to be don't let the farmers use your field for any purpose as they acquire rights and this could be an issue when selling the property so I have not invited anyone to put lawn mowers (sheep) on it for that reason.

So what do we do with it? Suggestions so far have included building a vast solar collector for the pool and house, using it to teach the locals cricket and giving a home to some unwanted farm animal. We already grow veg in a small section of it. Any other ideas?...........John not Jackie in 79

[quote]Many communes are now feeling the pinch, are indeed very poor and their finances even in the "rouge" so it is in their interests to sell off land for new houses. Villages and hamlets are expanding an...[/quote]

I think compulsory purchase only happens when they want to build roads and then the compensation is neglible! Probably similar to England!

[quote]I can understand folks buying land so they know no building will go on next door. The down side of this is what the heck do you do with it? We have a small field next to our garden which was inclu...[/quote]

My ideas for your land are the following:

make a caravan/camping site

grow fruit trees or soft fruit and stand the local market with the produce

keep bees

pitch and put course

or become an English landed gent in your 'corner of a foreign land' with green wellies, Barbour jacket and flat hat and of course have the obligatory two labradors.

Hope this helps!

[quote]I think compulsory purchase only happens when they want to build roads and then the compensation is neglible! Probably similar to England![/quote]

Athene

I have heard of cases where the commune insist on buying some of the land when a property is up for sale. This is to enable them to build houses at a later date.

re. your earlier comment new build houses v old stone properties, in our area of 17 I think there is still a huge demand for old properties for foreign buyers, some new builds of course but I don't think this applies to the majority.

Gill

[quote]Athene I have heard of cases where the commune insist on buying some of the land when a property is up for sale. This is to enable them to build houses at a later date. re. your earlier comment new...[/quote]

Hi Gill,

I can only speak as I find and I too am in 17.