Trailers

Mayennaise

We are thinking of buying one of the above so that we can cart  all the 'stuff' that we want to get from the DIY shed to Chez Nous....  We are aware that over a certain size they have to have their own Carte Grise - but is the price of tow bar fitting included in the price of the trailer or do we have to arrange for that separately?

I don't know if you have had tyres done there before but take your carte grise with you - something to do with making a note of your details for the guarantee, I think.  Ditto for batteries, attelage and any other work you have done.

They will probably fill your tyres with nitrogen gas ("azote") in preference to air.  Feu Vert will check the pressures and top up with nitrogen for free whenever you pop in for as long as the tyres last.

[quote user="Boatyard"]Can you tell me what the cost of fitting a tow bar is on a peugot car? Thankyou[/quote]

I paid 600€ to a Peugeot main dealer recently - electrics, bar, labour, TVA, etc. for a 206. Seems a standard cost as I asked at several and all gave me close to the same price. Peugeot actually do 3 different types of tow bar/ball and I went for the cheapest (the one where the ball is on a rod that "emerges" from under the back of the car. Alternatives (that were more expensive): where the ball is bolted to a plate and one where the ball can be removed when not in use. I checked with my own insurance and they no longer require you to remove the tow ball when not in use so I went for a fixed one.

I'm sure you can get this done cheaper but I needed to be totally confidant in it as I was returning to the UK to collect a trailer (boat) over Christmas break and nowhere in the UK would be open to sort out any electrics issues.

Ian

I paid 250 euros for a peugeot 106, also including cost of towbar electrics, fitting ... it was at our local rapid auto;     admittedly they initially wired the lights incorrectly (they got 'confused' because it was an english car - yeah right !), but i called them and explained problem and they said bring it back straight away, and they corrected problem on spot, with an apology (and the feeble excuse above, but hey ho i may have tried the same !).

580 euros for a removable towbar for a Hyundai at the main dealer so 600€ for yours Deimos sounds about right.  It's one of those things you want doing right so that your trailer/caravan whatever doesn't overtake you on the autoroute!  I take it you can't use the Telepeage Doofer if towing?

At Feu Vert it was about 160€ for the proper tow bar and electrics for a Peugeot 306, fitted.  I told you they were good value!

That's for a removable with a spanner (the ball is bolted to a plate) - they had a slightly more expensive one for which you did not need a spanner to remove it, but it's only a 2-minute job with a socket wrench and I never take it off anyway so, like Deimos, I did not see the point of paying extra.

I believe that you used to have to remove the tow ball when not in use otherwise insurance would not cover some things. I know of somebody who had an accident around 3 years ago and their insurance refused to pay up because they had a tow ball fitted and not in use (unsure of what happened in the accident). I checked with my insurance and was initially told it should be removed, then they double checked and said they do not require this any more. Might be that things are in the process of changing so might be that some still require its removal and others don't - I have only limited experience (one insurance company and one story !!).

Ian

All modern bars must be "E" marked.This means that the bar and it's fixings and the mountings on the body meet legal requirements.As to bars protruding the only legal requirement(except "E" marking as above) is that there are no sharp edges.