7.5 tonne lorry, driving on a sunday?

tetley

Hello,  I have done a search on this and found a thread from 2004, but can someone please just clarify for me, that it us legal for my husband to travel in a 7.5 tonne lorry on Sunday?  he is travelling to start a new job for Monday morning.  Thanks very much.

Hi there Tetley,

We have a local firm who regularly heve 40 footers travelling on our roads on a Sunday, they don't do refrigerated goods or animal foodstuffs. 

Having read the other thread, I suspect the regs. are for commercial carriers and nothing to do with someone driving a private lorry. (If the lorry is empty he isn't contravening any law is he?)

Aly

[quote user="Charlotte3"]

Hi there Tetley,

We have a local firm who regularly heve 40 footers travelling on our roads on a Sunday, they don't do refrigerated goods or animal foodstuffs. 

So what are they carrying then Aly?  The list of permitted goods is quite long and complex, but any perishable cargo is permitted - it does not have to be refrigerated - as are some types of fuels.

Having read the other thread, I suspect the regs. are for commercial carriers and nothing to do with someone driving a private lorry. (If the lorry is empty he isn't contravening any law is he?)

Oh yes he is unless he is picking up a permitted cargo.

Aly

[/quote]

Tetley,

the simple answer is no he is not permitted to drive between 22:00 Saturday night and 22:00 Sunday night (unless carrying a permitted cargo).  During the summer months this is extended to include Saturdays as well, and all jours de fete have bans.

In addition there can be local specific bans - for example on the A7 during the summer holiday migration - which go even further.

Fines are steep and can be imposed on the driver, the haulage company and the shipper.  If OH is an owner driver and is running empty then he cops for all 3 - time to practice catching books.

I am sure the gendamerie are in no way biased and only focus more on foreign plated trucks because they maybe don't understand the rules.

[quote user="andyh4"]

Tetley,

the simple answer is no he is not permitted to drive between 22:00 Saturday night and 22:00 Sunday night (unless carrying a permitted cargo).  During the summer months this is extended to include Saturdays as well, and all jours de fete have bans.

In addition there can be local specific bans - for example on the A7 during the summer holiday migration - which go even further.

Fines are steep and can be imposed on the driver, the haulage company and the shipper.  If OH is an owner driver and is running empty then he cops for all 3 - time to practice catching books.

I am sure the gendamerie are in no way biased and only focus more on foreign plated trucks because they maybe don't understand the rules.

[/quote]

[:$] whoops, he left on Sunday....due back this sunday.....will let him know, thankyou.

I think Tetley's truck is under 7,5 tonnes, so the weekend restrictions will not apply:

DES INTERDICTIONS GENERALES DE CIRCULATION

La circulation des véhicules de transport de marchandises de poids total autorisé en charge de plus de 7,5 t est interdite les samedis et veilles de jours fériés à partir de 22 heures, jusqu'à 22 heures les dimanches et jours fériés.

La circulation des véhicules de transport des matières dangereuses est interdite les samedis et veilles de jours fériés à partir de 12 heures, jusqu'à 24 heures les dimanches et jours fériés.

La circulation des véhicules de transport gaz liquéfiés à usage domestique et hydrocarbures est interdite les samedis et veilles de jours fériés à partir de 20 heures, jusqu'à 24 heures les dimanches et jours fériés.

Les restrictions à la circulation des véhicules de transport de marchandise de plus de 7,5 tonnes de poids total autorisé en charge et de véhicules de transport de matières dangereuses font à présent l'objet d'un arrêté permanent qui fixe les périodes et les horaires des samedis concernés et les réseaux d'application.

(arrêté du 23 décembre 2003 - paru au J.O. le 31 décembre 2003) .