General Settings for Fixed Speed Cameras in France.

Bugsy

Sensitivity is usually set up at 5% of the maximum speed.

However when maximum speed is below 100 km/h (31 mph) it is set at 5 km/h (3 mph).

• Maximum speed           Margin                   Fined if ...

• 50km/h (31 mph)          5km/h (3 mph)        56km/h (34 mph)

• 60km/h (37 mph)          5km/h      "              66km/h (40 mph)

• 70km/h (44 mph)          5km/h      "              76km/h (48 mph)

• 80km/h (50 mph)          5km/h      "              86km/h (53 mph)

• 90km/h (56 mph)          5km/h      "              96km/h (59 mph)

• 100km/h (62 mph)        5km/h      "            106km/h (65 mph)

• 110km/h (69 mph         6km/h (4 mph)       117km/h (73 mph)

• 120km/h (75 mph)        6km/h      "            127km/h (79 mph)

• 130km/h (81 mph)        7km/h (4.5 mph)    138km/h (85 mph)

Oh well I can vouch for the accuracy of these figures !  Just been caught for 96kmh in a 90km zone. The annoying bit is the speedo accuracy on my car is to within 10% (UK Construction and Use Regs) and when I triggered the camera my speedo was honestly reading less than 90kmh. At 45 euros and 1 point it's not worth trying to argue, but I'll know for next time to go past the camera really slowly in the time honoured British fashion !

Your speedo must be wrong and needs re-calibrating. There is a legally permitted margin of error in calibration, BUT, only if it shows you going faster than you actually are (ie: speedo shows 90, but car only doing 86). That way you should always be on the right side of the law and the camera.

[quote user="David"]

[quote user="Bugbear"]In UK law it's actually 10% +2.[/quote]

Does that also mean that the UK fixed speed cameras are set for 10% plus 2?

David

[/quote]

In theory yes, that implies 35 in a thirty, but factual cases suggests it's set at 34. To be honest only a fool exceeds 30 or drives 'using their 10%+2. (the +2 is mph) Without a calibrated speedo such as police traffic cars have, you can't know how accurate it is to start with and the variation changes with different speeds.

If you want to check yours it's easy with a sat-nav.

Given the speedo calibration difference and the additional margin set for speed cameras, then in theory, no-one should ever get flashed - even for an uncontrolled creep over the posted limit. 

So, if anyone was flashed at 34mph in a 30mph zone, then their speedo must have been reading about 37mph at the time.....

Not necessarily - I know that the meter in my French car reads about 3km/h high at 50km/h, and about 4km/h low at 90km/h. But knowing that, I can of course drive within the limits, bearing in mind that the acuracy can change as the meter, or even the tyres on the driven wheels, wear.

As I said before, if you value your licence it's worth checking your true speed with a sat nav (providing you have one of course). On my Jeep I have over-size All-terrain tyres. This changes the speedo readings considerably. I ran a test and marked all the true speeds from 30 to 130kph, and then made a curved sticker with the accurate speeds on, and stuck it to the speedo.

You can actually buy kph stickers that fit over your speedo.

Sorted.

• 2 months later...

I can't remember if I've seen similar in France or not but on UK motorways there are markers every 1/10th of a mile so if you get a chance to hold a steady speed for a reasonable distance you can work out your speedo's accuracy. Probably only possible at 3:00am though.....[:)]

In New Zealand there are certain stretches of road which are designated as speedo check areas so you cover a defined distance between signs and see if your speedo records the same. One presumes that they reckon the speedo's correlation between distance travelled and speed indicated is correct.