French road tax ?

Onion van man

Well, not knowing anything about the French ways of doing things maybe someone could advise me.

Is there such a thing as road tax in France ?

I have looked at some french site that I don't really understand and it shows a chart that list that it cost something like 46 euros for something to do with taxing or registering the car but, I still can't work it out.

Maybe one of you knowledgeable people could tell me what it would roughly cost me to register my 2001 saxo diesel in France? and what if it applys, the road tax might be?

Many thanks.

There is no equivalent of the UK road tax/vehicle excise licence in France.

You pay a one off registration fee which is based on the fiscal power rating (CV) of your car.  The CV rating will be shown on your certificate of conformity.  The 46€ per CV that you mention is the fee for registration in Paris.  Most other prefectures charge 36€ per CV, half that if the car is over 10 years old. A saxo diesel will probably be around 7-9 CV.

Check out the FAQ at the top of this forum section about registering a UK car in France.

[quote user="Anton Redman"]

I believe the word is Polish and you expect logic from the last army to have be brave /stupid enough to charge tanks on horse back ?

[/quote] 

what sort of stupid reply is that , did i spell polish wrong ?? please explain your comments in english so i/we can understand and also if you want to be defender of the polish then explain how the polish cars can stay in the uk for ever without having to convert to uk plates please as i am confused about what i thought was a level playing field we had in europe !!! over to you

[quote user="La Roche"]also if we are one europe now how comes the polish can drive their cars in the UK for ever .[/quote]

Because they know they can get away with it. It's too much like hard work for an over stretched police 'force' (sorry I forgot its a service now because force sounds to aggressive). British police are nothing more than social workers in uniform these days, Political correctness has taken over and stopped them from doing what they should be doing.

What I would really like to know is...... If we are 'one europe' then why can't we have a set european vehicle registration system for the whole of europe? I guess the shape, colour and size of Banana's was far more important for the EU to sort out ?

Thank you all for the answers to the question about road tax.

[quote user="La Roche"]...how do you work out the CV is it 1000cc per CV or horse power = CV ?? ...

[/quote]

No, nothing like that simple. The current formula is:

Pa = (CO2/45) + (P/40)^1.6
    avec Pa = puissance administrative (chevaux fiscaux),
    CO2 = Rejet de CO2 en cycle normalisé
    et P = puissance en kW.

Attention (P/40)^1.6 = (P/40) "puissance" 1.6 et non "fois".

That applies to post-July 1998 vehicles, for older ones there is a far more complicated formula for which you need to know the km/h per 1000 rpm for all forward gears.

[quote user="La Roche"][quote user="Anton Redman"]

I believe the word is Polish and you expect logic from the last army to have be brave /stupid enough to charge tanks on horse back ?

[/quote] 

what sort of stupid reply is that , did i spell polish wrong ?? please explain your comments in english so i/we can understand and also if you want to be defender of the polish then explain how the polish cars can stay in the uk for ever without having to convert to uk plates please as i am confused about what i thought was a level playing field we had in europe !!! over to you

[/quote]

No.  You spelt the word correctly if you were referring to that stuff you clean your shoes with.  If you were referring to the nationality, then you should have put a capital P in front of it. 

In fact, your whole response doesn't contain any capital letters at all - perhaps your keyboard's gone on the blink......

" I guess the shape, colour and size of Banana's was far more important for the EU to sort out ?"

Just as far off the point and irrelevant to registering a UK vehicle in France as La Roche's pathetic "they don't why should we?" diatribe about the Poles in the UK - at least they are working and paying taxes unlike a lot of British born layabouts -  the curved banana thing.

This is now famous as the biggest EU myth of all time, closely followed by the barmaids must not show cleavage  due to sun exposure myth and farmers cannot drive tractors due to the risk of white finger vibration myth, all put about by the ignorant and anti EU elements of the British press.

[quote user="Ron Avery"]

" I guess the shape, colour and size of Banana's was far more important for the EU to sort out ?"

Just as far off the point and irrelevant to registering a UK vehicle in France as La Roche's pathetic "they don't why should we?" diatribe about the Poles in the UK - at least they are working and paying taxes unlike a lot of British born layabouts -  the curved banana thing.

This is now famous as the biggest EU myth of all time, closely followed by the barmaids must not show cleavage  due to sun exposure myth and farmers cannot drive tractors due to the risk of white finger vibration myth, all put about by the ignorant and anti EU elements of the British press.

[/quote]

It was just a bit of tongue in cheek sarcasm, Can't say I've ever heard of the other ones. If I had the attitude of "they don't why should we?" then I would not be here asking how to calculate road registration/tax costs for registering my car in France!

However, I'm still of the view that there should be a more uniform Europe wide system but, I doubt it will ever happen.

If you think about it, we already have a EU wide system for vehicle registration: 

There is an EU standard for the format of vehicle registration documents. 

There is an EU wide system of common type approval so vehicles can be moved around Europe without having to undergo technical modifications before re-registration (except in the UK where they drive on a different side of the road to everyone else and measure speed in Imperial units instead of the Metric system).

Each country imposes a vehicle registration fee.  Some countries may impose a further fiscal tax according to their national taxation policies.

VAT regulations on car purchase are standardised throughout the EU. 

A common EU wide driving licence is to be implemented.  An EU wide traffic offence enforcement system is currently in the process of roll-out throughout the EU.

There is an EU white paper on extending the ability of insurance companies to offer cross border cover to make it easier for people to move their cars within the EU.

In practical terms, it is easier to import a UK car into France than it is to import a French car into the UK......

SD what you said is of course all true and correct. The point I was trying to make is that if you had a centralised European registration system then you would just be able to move from say Spain to France and not have to re-register your car, Pretty much like people that move from say Scotland to England.

Although, I did have one terribly un-educated young lad recently trying to tell me that the United Kingdom was a country and that England,Ireland, Scotland & wales were infact Counties.........So much for the education system these days!

[quote user="La Roche"]what sort of stupid reply is that , did i spell polish wrong ?? [/quote]Yes, you did.  The word is Polish, not polish.[quote]please explain your comments in english so i/we can understand[/quote]English uses punctuation and capital letters.  If you can't be bothered to use them, that's your choice, but perhaps you shouldn't criticize other people's English.[quote]and also if you want to be defender of the polish then explain how the polish cars can stay in the uk for ever without having to convert to uk plates[/quote]Why, exactly, do you think they can?

[quote user="Will"]

No, nothing like that simple. The current formula is:

Pa = (CO2/45) + (P/40)^1.6
    avec Pa = puissance administrative (chevaux fiscaux),
    CO2 = Rejet de CO2 en cycle normalisé
    et P = puissance en kW.

Attention (P/40)^1.6 = (P/40) "puissance" 1.6 et non "fois".

That applies to post-July 1998 vehicles, for older ones there is a far more complicated formula for which you need to know the km/h per 1000 rpm for all forward gears.

[/quote]Thank you very much Will for spoiling my afternoon by giving me a headache (absolutely nothing to do with grape products you understand!) [;-)]

What a load of old ancient cobblers this CV nonsense is. Where did it come from and why can't they apply something straightforward which mere mortals stand a chance of understanding but then this is France after all and I guess that simplicity is not in a fonciere's dictionary or job description is it [:)]

Is there a list or chart somewhere giving CV's for popular cars I wonder ?

Ernie, I've found this and it's a little bit clearer (not!)

[quote]Quelle est la formule de la nouvelle puissance fiscale ?

Applicable

depuis le 1er juillet 1998, le calcul de la puissance administrative

est le suivant :

PA = [CO²/45] + [P. exp. 1,6/40]

PA : puissance administrative arrondie à l'entier le plus proche

CO²

: émissions de dioxyde de carbone ou gaz carbonique exprimées en

grammes par km (mesurée selon la directive communautaire CE 93/116),

valeur obligatoirement indiquée sur les documentations commerciales à

côté des consommations.

P : puissance réelle du moteur en kW (mesurée selon la directive communautaire CE 98/195)

«P. exp.1,6» : lire «P exposant 1,6»

Cette

nouvelle formule qualifie le véhicule en fonction de sa puissance

réelle (quel que soit le type de moteur) et de sa propreté (quel que

soit le type de moteur ou de carburant).

Ce nouveau calcul de

la puissance administrative concerne les voitures particulières de

moins de 9 places réceptionnées par type ou, à titre isolé, équipées de

moteurs thermiques à combustion interne fonctionnant selon un cycle à

4 temps.[/quote]

[quote user="ErnieY"] 

What a load of old ancient cobblers this CV nonsense is. [/quote]

....... and cc, litres and horse power are easier to understand??? Buy yourself a  2CV,  Ernie save the brain cells.[:P]

In France cars have the CV clearly notated in the Handbook like UK cars have the CC, its only when doing a registration of a UK car that the problem arises of converting CCs to CVs

[quote user="Ron Avery"]Buy yourself a  2CV,  Ernie save the brain cells.[:P][/quote]Don't know about a 2CV Ron, a tad pedestrian for my taste, however, saving the brain cells is definately to be recommended....I'm getting worse by the day. Just this afternoon for instance I arrived at the checkout at my local Champion with someone elses trolley, not content with that faux pas I'd half emptied it before realising..........[:$]