Driving in Spain (from France)

chessfou

A century ago I used to drive (from the UK) to and from Spain a good deal. I never left home without green card and, especially, Bail Bond.

Has anyone, resident here in France with French registered and insured car any knowledge of the Bail Bond issue.

I have twice asked my insurers here. They seemed to be blissfully unaware of Bail Bonds but when it was explained to them (on two separate occasions) insisted that no such thing was required (any more) for Spain.

Can anyone confirm this?

Bail bonds used to be required when driving in Spain because involvement in certain road accidents there resulted in detention by the police. That ceased to be the case at least seven years ago, and insurers no longer issue bail bonds.

This may help.

[URL]http://www.theaa.com/motoring_advice/overseas/compulsory_equipment.html[/URL]

If vehicle has more than 9 places a fire extinguisher is also compulsory in Spain.

A First Aid Kit and protective gloves (for tyre changing) are also a good idea.

Yes, two warning triangles for Spain. Possibly only one is compulsory* but word here (Halfords equivalent) is that lots of French drivers (and, presumably, others) are being spot fined in Spain for carrying only the one triangle.

*according to the AA but my local Halfords equivalent insists that two are now compulsory.

Don't forget to beware the fake policeman stopping foreign registered cars on the Madrid ring roads. The Guardia Civil will always be in a marked car; if anyone else tries to stop you dial 112 and ask for help. The British Embassy website has helpful information. There is a new fast expressway off the M50 (Madrid outer ring road) which goes down to Aranjuez now; it costs a few euros but is much better than the old road.

regards

Lisa.