Points on French driving licences.

David

Having recently changed my UK driving licence for a French licence, I was rather concerned about the following newspaper advice.

French News August 2007.

Page 61, Motoring and Travel by Brian McCulloch.

Radars, the reality.

Points taken.

Most French licences have 12 points, except those issued within the last two years which have only six.  Three points are lost for each speeding offence. ..............

Unquote.

I do not think that this is correct, but I would be grateful for the advice of this forum.  I would be rather upset if changing to a new French licence has cost me six points, especially as this forum did not warn me of this.

I would also ber grateful for advice as to the accuracy of the rest of the article.  For example I wonder if the section "Binoculars" is correct in stating that offenders are pulled over there and then for processing, as I have seen Gendarms using these devices without any other Gendarms, such as motor bikes, being visible in the area.

David

As far as I know, the only driving licence with  6points rather than 12, is the permis probatoire.

It applies to all new drivers who pass their driving test after 1st March 2004 or those drivers whose permit has been cancelled either by the loss of all 12 points or by a judge's court order.

I don't understand your other question about gendarmes and binoculars.

Yes you are right on both counts and the article is wrong.

As far as the Binoculars ( IE Mobile Speed Traps) are concerned they operate like the fixed cameras, computer recording of results and automatic processing of the infraction letters.

[quote user="Clair"]....or those drivers whose permit has been cancelled either by the loss of all 12 points or by a judge's court order....[/quote]so if you do lose your licence when you get it back you only have 6 points instead of the original 12 ?

In UK of course a ban wipes out all points (except Drink Driving) and you start afresh and can accumulate another 12 before being banned again. 

David  - I read this too in French news and was worried as husband has just got his french license. Another point in that article which I think is wrong  - they say that getting caught speeding by a radar costs loss of 3 points. As far as I know - Clair, you gave me a website for this - it varies from 1 to ?4, depending on the percentage over the limit. Pat.

Sadly French News is totally unreliable for many things and especially driving in France. In one of their giveaway ones that you get from time to time, ( does anybody actually buy it??), they published one article saying that you had to change to a French license when you moved to France, which we all know is not the case. It is a great pity that they do not do research on these items before publishing such rubbish.

[quote user="ErnieY"]... so if you do lose your licence when you get it back you only have 6 points instead of the original 12 ?[/quote]

Ernie, more details on the permis probatoire here: http://vosdroits.service-public.fr/particuliers

The permis probatoire lasts 3 years, during which the driver must have a  sticker (A) fixed to his vehicle.

The driver under probation can recover 2 points per year, provided no infraction is committed during that year.

If the driver also opts to take accompanied driving lessons, he can recover 3 points (instead of 2 points) at the end of 2 years, to recover his full points capital.