Control Technique

lemans

Does "everything" include the fluffy dice......?

Lemans

For all vehicles, the vehicle inspection covers ten mechanical functions, sub-divided into 125 items.  Of these, 68 are considered to warrant prompt remedial repair work if defective, requiring resubmission of the vehicle for a repeat inspection.

Additional inspection items apply to vehicles subject to special regulations.

Repeat inspections are limited to vehicle identification markings and verification of the items noted defective during initial inspection.

You can find a full schedule of tested items on the official UTAC website [url=http://www.utac.com/uk/html/ct/contenu_controles.asp]HERE[/url]

Just click on each icon to see what's involved.

I registered my English car in France and had to change the headlamps to French ones before the CT.  The test was fair and I could watch it being done.  It's great that we only have to go through the trauma every 2 years, unlike the MOT...

Took my little Saxo in a few days ago for its first CT.  Guy who did it passed it without a problem but pointed out a small hole in the back box which I've since had replaced.

At the same time he asked whether the kmage was correct and when I said it was - just 12,000k from new - he made me an offer for it!  But it's already spoken for, will be traded in with the Picasso when I get it back after the accident damage is repaired for a newer Picasso.

[quote user="jc"]Cars can get even more dangerous in two years than in one!!![/quote]

Time is not an issue, If your steering started to feel vague a week after the MOT or CT would you continue to drive it like that until its next inspection? I'm hoping the answer is No.

Part of owning a vehicle is to manage its servicing and repairs. Unfortunately there is alot of people that just continue driving a car regardless of whats wrong with it and get it sorted after its failed an inspection. As they say, An MOT is not proof of a vehicle being road worthy. It just means that at the time of being inspected it met the minimum requirement neccesary for use on the road.

• 2 weeks later...

Our car passed it's CT today.  We were discussing the 2 years in France vs each year in UK with the Garage owner, who told us that France is moving to annual CT's in 2010.  We'll all be safer after 2010, since as has been said, a lot more can go wrong in 2 years than one year [:)]

Strange that, when EU legislation requires that vehicle tests be carried out at four years then bi-annually thereafter.  

In fact, the UK government are keen to reduce the amount of legislation 'gold plating' and following the recent issue of the Davidson Report, they expect to shortly announce proposals to extend the UK MOT's current three years/annual test cycle to fall in line with the EU standards.  The saving in fees and lost time to UK businesses would amount to some £465 million a year.....

The argument about more things going wrong over a longer period, is a bit spurious.  As Onion pointed out, safety depends on regular maintenance, not annual/biannual tests.  The MOT/CT is only a valid indicator of the vehicle's mechanical condition on the day of the test.  A car presented for a test with 2mm of tyre tread will pass.  A few weeks later, those same tyres are likely to be illegal.

[quote user="Sunday Driver"]

The MOT/CT is only a valid indicator of the vehicle's mechanical condition on the day of the test.[/quote]I couldn't agree more SD.

You could legitimately argue that the definition of a properly maintained vehicle is one which is capable of passing an MOT/CT at any point in time and not just on the anniversary of it's last test, however long ago that was.

[quote user="Cathy"]I registered my English car in France and had to change the headlamps to French ones before the CT.  The test was fair and I could watch it being done.  It's great that we only have to go through the trauma every 2 years, unlike the MOT...[/quote]Why trauma [8-)]

As I said in my previous post, if a car is properly maintained it should sail through any test on any day, at worst it should only be found to be suffering from the most minor of faults [;-)] 

[quote user="DavyH"]Maybe the trauma comes about when you don't know if the garage is only failing your car because they have a quiet week?  They tried that one on me this year when my wife took the car in.
[/quote]

How so, as, AFAIAA, CT stations don't/can't do repairs? Or are they in league with your local garage?!

No you are right Nick, CT stations are totally independant and have no connection with garages, they do not do any reapirs or adjustments.  They also have no influence as to which garages a vehicle is taken for repairs.  Given that the criteria for pass and fail is not the same as in the UK, DH can only be referring to what was once a common UK practice.

What does happen here is that if you have, for example tyres changed,  you will often be given a report on the condition of your car for information.