Perhaps Noel Edmonds had a crystal ball?

Chancer

I just saw on the news that the vehicle immatriculation system is to change from 2008, from then on when registering a new car you will be issued with a reg number that will stay with you for life, when you sell the car you keep the plates to put on your new one, they will also no longer carry the departement number so perhaps Parisien drivers will now be let out of side turnings etc in my region!

The change will also be effective on used cars but only when they are sold or any other changes made to the carte grise.

With the new system you will no longer need to reregister the car when moving to another departement.

E&OE - my French is not perfect but I think that I understood it all.

[quote user="J.R."]

when registering a new car you will be issued with a reg number that will stay with you for life, when you sell the car you keep the plates to put on your new one

[/quote]

Are you sure about this J.R.? The plate stays with you and not the car?

This has been talked about, and put off, several times in the recent past. There has been some opposition from people who want to keep their locality on their vehicle plates, this has been addressed by an optional blue area on the right of the plate, corresponding to the country identifier on the left. It is interesting that some other 'personal' plates, like the German ones, include a code for the town of registration, e.g. HH for Hamburg etc.

I wonder if this will start a trade in 'cherished' number plates in France, or are the French not sufficiently vain [;-)][:P] ?

Sorry for the delay, i was kept in the hospital during my last out patient appointment for yet another emergency operation so its back to square one again regarding the eye.

It is entirely possible that I misunderstood part of the news item as I did reflect later that it would have made more sense for the plates to stay with the vehicle, I was pretty sure that I understood it all but as the news was not subtitled maybe I misunderstood having only just swung the dish to recieve only french programs.

I am certain that they said that it would happen in 2008 rather than is proposed, we will have to wait and see, the news item was on Arte/5 just before I posted, did anyone else see it?

Straying slightly off topic and only of hypothetical interest to me as I dont intend moving.

Under the current system when one moves departement the car has to get a new carte grise, does this mean that the full CV based fiscale charge is once again payable, even if it has only recently been paid?

Or is there perhaps some exemption for those who have to move with their job?

[quote user="J.R."]

Straying slightly off topic and only of hypothetical interest to me as I dont intend moving.

Under the current system when one moves departement the car has to get a new carte grise, does this mean that the full CV based fiscale charge is once again payable, even if it has only recently been paid?

Or is there perhaps some exemption for those who have to move with their job?

[/quote]

No it cost nothing to change, other than the new reg plates.

He was photopgraphed one morning in his Landrover Discovery on French plates in the UK then again the same afternoon in his Landrover Rangerover in the afternoon after flying to his other home in the south of France which was on the same number plates.  (The dtails could be the wrong way around) ie two cars, two countries, one set of number plates.