Autoroute telethingies?

Jonzjob

Our Xantia HDi state would have been 7 now, but we sold it before we moved over and bought a Citroen C8 'van with windows' [6] left hooker... And you would never catch me driving with a trailer at 100 mph. Mirror dingy on a small boat trailer at 90, but not the ton!!

We are 'downsizing' now and getting a C4 with 7 seats instead.

One of my 'calims to fame' was going up the Le Mans Mulsane Straight the week after the 24 and overtaking about 4 French cars, with our caravan on the back [Www]. With the ball hitch stabilizer and a correctly loaded van it was very stable and no trouble. (duck John?)

I can never fathom out just how the cars in the 24 get uo to the speeds they do along that straight with those roundabouts to contend with [8-)]?

Ernie those restrictive gates on the autorouts are the main reason that we get some huge great sailing boats hammering through Carcassonne and surrounding villages on their way to the Med. They can't get the bloody things through the gates so they have several 'damjam' out riders with their little blue lamps flashing for all they are worth shoving all and sundry off the road so they can go through the tiny villages on the route they have to take! They could make a load of cash from the boats and the boat transporters would save a boat load of cash going that way!! Wouldn't be able to use the 'doofers' though, would they?[:D]

Hey ErnieY, I thought the telepeage Doofers were just for Class 1 vehicles, in other words, a bog standard car without a trailer.  I thought a trailer was charged extra and so couldn't use the telepeage.  I am more than happy to be corrected on this as I am by no means sure and I don't have a trailer (or a hook) anyway.

I guess that small trailers less than car height can probably go through at the car rate but anything taller than the barrier at the Telepaege lane obviously can't.

According to what I'd read you could use the Doofer through the other lanes by taking a ticket as normal then handing over the Doofer at the other end for payment however on this latest trip I discovered that it works just the same through any lane with the "T" logo, trailer and all.

What I don't know yet is what rate it's been charged at, it'll be class 2 I'm sure, too easy to cheat otherwise.

[quote user="RicandJo"]

Do they take the tolls from your bank at the same rate as the drive through and hand over the cash, or do they give you some discount on the toll cost?

[/quote]

Depends.

Some autoroute companies offer frequent use discounts when you sign up for your doofer.  APRR for example will give you every 6th and 12 journey in a month over ae predefined journey between 2 of their toll booths- anything left over gets carried over to the next month.  Look on theiur website under Liberté détente.

In effect this means if you travel regulary between 2 points on their network (forget the in a month bit) you get every 6th trip free.

In my case Belfort to Lyon or back - one trip in 6 free makes a big difference to my annual toll charges.

[quote user="RicandJo"]

Do they take the tolls from your bank at the same rate as the drive through and hand over the cash, or do they give you some discount on the toll cost?

[/quote]

It actually costs slightly MORE, as they charge €2 a month in any month in which you use the sytem.

Still worth it though, esp if you do much travel alone in a RHD car, or use the more crowded autoroutes.