Getting the builder to return

Our house was built about 3 years ago by a well known builder in our department (11) and we are very pleased with it.

After 18 months some tiles around the terrace had cracked and he agreed to replace them. As it was Autumn I suggested he waited until Spring giving the ground time to settle. He agreed but he didn't return. By then we had also noticed that the gates posts moved with the seasons (they are built on clay) which meant we cannot lock the gates when we are not there as they overlap or don't meet. He told our estate agent that he had not put in good enough foundations and would re-build them with connecting foundations between the two posts.

Despite our estate agent repeatedly asking him no work has been done. We sent him an e-mail and had no reply. We sent him another asking for a meeting at our house when we were there at easter and he agreed. He was very charming (which he always is) and said the work would be started the next week. It wasn't and still hasn't. We have sent another e-mail with no response.

Any suggestions as to what we do next? I think all work is meant to be guarranteed for 10 years isn't it?

I am going to our house next week for 2 weeks so I could see him then but I am not sure what good it would do as he keeps promising but not delivering. My french is only at GCSE level so I am easily lost in conversations!

Thanks

We are having exactly the same problems with our builder. Is your builder part of a bigger franchise? We got fed up waiting for empty promises and have sent our builder a recorded delivery letter, which hasn't had the desired effect. perhaps you could contact me on my private email ( if its working) and we can compare / discuss tactics.

We are also suffering, only our house is not even built yet (barn renovation with small extension), we had so many start dates from our Project Manager and nothing has happened (I suppose his hands are tied as well, he is English and the builders are French) and we just do not believe anything anymore. We just hope that once on site they don't leave it all the time!

Monika (61)

Your first port of call will obviously be his office.  From there I would keep on at him from the UK or use someone local to do it for you. 

Do you have the bill?  You have recourse via that ... PM me if you want further help.