Gilets and Triangles

Terry

We all know that a new law comes into effect on 1st July. But what exactly? I have been given different advise by a number of different people and got different info on the Interweb so I thought I would go to those who should know.

So this morning I went to the local Gendarmerie and was told that the law was going to be TWO Triangles to be carried and ONE gilet (to be carried in the car not the boot.)

This afternoon I went to a Gendarmerie in a nearby, slightly bigger, town and was told ONE Triangle to be carried and a Gilet for EVERY person (could be up to 5 in my case)

Confused? I am. Two Gendarmes - two answers.

Anybody any further info

Many thanks. Printed off and now stored with the Carte Gris, Insurance and Copy Driving Licence in the car.

PS Memo to self. Buy appropriately marked Gilet and Triangle. Store Triangle in the Boot (or Trunk for American Cousins) and Gilet in Glove Compartment.

[quote user="Jazzer"]

For cyclists I am told a gilet becomes compulsory on 1st September.

[/quote]

You are correct.  It will be for cyclists riding outside towns at night or in poor visiblity,  As if the lycra isn't bright enough![:-))]

Having just checked my jacket and triangle for compliance with the regulations, I can imagine seeing something like the following in the local newspaper in July,

"An elderly retired Englishman died of  smoke inhalation in his car this morning.  It appears that a small fire broke out under the dash of his car which was then immobilised by the roadside.  According to the Sapeurs-Pompiers who were quickly on the scene, the unfortunate man had fought for some time to remove his newly-bought reflective jacket from its packaging but then expired while struggling to put on the jacket while seated at the wheel.  We would remind our readers that it is now a legal requirement to be correctly dressed before exiting a vehicle immobilised at the roadside, or simply following an emergency stop."

but I hope I'm wrong.

I suspect it is only the god-fearing Brits who worry about legislation that is not going to be enforced, obeyed or even known by the natives of our chosen country.

Myself I have had a gilet and triangle in the car for many years not because it was legislation but to me a common sense precaution but I shant be getting it out to check its conformity.

Editted: Of course the shops selling these gilets to the god-fearing know about this legislation [:)]

[quote user="beerdrinker"]

Many thanks. Printed off and now stored with the Carte Gris, Insurance and Copy Driving Licence in the car.

[/quote]

There is no way that I would leave the carte gris in the car. If it gets kniqued the thug has all he/she (PC?) needs to flog it me thinks. All my papers stay in my wallet, which is in my French bag [:D]..

Also, the catre gris that I carry is a copy, because if you loose the original it can be an uphill battle to get it replaced. I realise that this is not strictly legal, but if need be I can produce the original and it would have to be a really yuk damjam to argue (I hope?)

[quote user="Jonzjob"]There is no way that I would leave the carte gris in the car. If it gets kniqued the thug has all he/she (PC?) needs to flog it me thinks. [/quote]I have often wondered about this.  Does anyone know the answer for sure?  If I steal a car, and I find the carte grise in it, will I be able to sell it?

A legal sale must be supported by a certificat de non gage, issued by the préfecture in whose area the car is registered.  If the car is reported stolen, the police will inform the préfecture and the certificate will not be issued.  The question is: if the thief is smart enough, or lucky enough, to get a certificat de non gage before the report finds its way through the system, could he get away with it?

I admit that I normally keep the carte grise in the car, mainly because otherwise I would probably forget it.  But I am obsessive about locking the car when I leave it.