Looking for a new car? GOOD TIP...

MrCanary

Well done.

Pre-registration is a common and well known phenomena employed, as you rightly observe, to 'massage' the figures. I think the UK government learnt a lot from it [6]

I wonder though, particularly in the current economic climate, if you might not have got a similar discount simply by walking into a dealer during the last couple of days of February or August with cash in hand and a playing hardball [;-)]

Mel, keep yer hair on (might be too late, looking at your avatar)!

Laugh with others and, sometimes, at yourself, why not?

I am impressed with your tip.  Don't mind a few digs; we all get them now and again.  Still not as bad as having your post unanswered, IMO!

Keep up the good work, passing on tips and so on. 

BTW, I once applied for a job where I had to do a test drive with an ex police driving instructor.  Thank goodness, they didn't tell me that before I got in the car or I would have been reduced to jelly.

What is it about the police and driving?  I guess the two just don't mix happily in many people's minds.

Bon apres-midi!  Forget the jibes or just have a good laugh as they can sometimes be very funny!

[quote user="sweet 17"]

BTW, I once applied for a job where I had to do a test drive with an ex police driving instructor.  Thank goodness, they didn't tell me that before I got in the car or I would have been reduced to jelly.

What is it about the police and driving?  I guess the two just don't mix happily in many people's minds.

[/quote]

I did two defensive driving courses with police instructors. Both of them were excellent and I learnt a lot. The emphasis was on making progress  and you weren't encouraged to potter along below the speed limit (unless conditions demanded). Apart from the individual police instructors skill I found them both really good blokes and very easy to get on with.

Mel has seen fit to significantly edit both her original post, which was quite detailed about how she saved money on her new car, and also the one before Twink's debut where she decided to tell us that she was an ex-police driving instructor so "knew a bit about driving cars" which was what prompted my 2nd post.

Twinks has also changed her graphic from a trumpet to a policeman.

[quote user="Mel"]If there was no link between driving and buying a car, why would anyone ever take test drives?[/quote]Mel, that's not what I said at all [geek]

Back to the original topic!

You can also save loads of money in France. Back in August 06, I had set my heart on a Hyundai Tucson diesel. I went to the dealer in Perigueux and look at them in the showroom, picked up a brochure and price list and decided that I wanted the top of the range - priced at 29,500 euro.

I then scoured the internet and found an independent dealer with new ones imported from Belgium at 24,500 euros. The dealer was down the road in Cahors, but after a visit I bought exactly what I wanted. Full French guarantee and the same spec as the one in the dealer at Perigueux.

Result: 5000 euros saved for a car that was first registered in France and we love it. 

Sorry trees 2 I love Citroen's and so does most of my family, the only forays into Renault, Vauxhall or Ford have been disasters for us.

If they would just bring back the BX.........[blink]

As it is we have a sedate Picasso, but it suits us just fine.....

oh - and we have never had any problems with unhelpfulness either....

Thanks sweet...

Sorry Sunday - yes, I severely cropped my posts. I visit three forums regularly, each of which links to my three favourite subjects (other than the usual...) football, cars and France. The first two - fine. Occasional disagreements, but no nastiness. From time to time on this one, I envisage bored, moody, miserable - mainly old folk, just sitting, tapping their fingers and waiting to pounce on any comment they do not like. What the heck difference did it make what car I was referring to? Next time I feel like sharing an experience to try to help other folk, it sure as heck will not be on here!

Ernie - don't push it - I'm a bloke!

Sorry if my daft graphic upset you Mel - I'm not bored or moody or that old either - I was just feeling a bit wicked[:)] 

Please continue to give your helpful advice on the forum for the posters are are interested in cars.  I promise not to have a giggle at your expense from now on.

[kiss]

Mel,

I read all the posts on this thread, mainly because I am sitting here bored (not moody or that old) I have to say I didn't see any nastiness, just normal banter, slight disagreements, some silliness but nothing unusual.

Maybe you are having a bad day ?????????

I'm with both Twinks and Steve, including "bored (not moody or that old)"

It was simply Twink's graphic which prodded the devil in me but no nastiness was intended.

If you visit the forum more you'll come to realise that we all have different styles and manners of posting and if you take the time to get used to that you'll hopefully enjoy the banter rather than take umbridge.

[quote user="Mel"]Ernie - don't push it - I'm a bloke![/quote]

I thought you were a she from your user name and avatar (sorry but Mel does sound female and the avatar does look, well, girly [blink]) plus the now edited "I love it" comment in your original post but I apologise for my error. Consequently I've edited the [kiss] form my earlier post as we wouldn't want people getting the wrong idea would we [:D]

[IMG]http://i127.photobucket.com/albums/p123/biskitboyo/Peace.jpg[/IMG]

[quote user="Christine Animal"]

Your new car is registered as December 2007, so you have saved money on it.  But when you sell it, won't you be selling an older car and therefore lose on it?

[/quote]

At 300,000 kilometres and eight years, I cannot make the difference between November 2000 and January 2001 worth much. It depends how often you trade your cars.