Gonflage à l'azote

sid

I recently bought a couple of tyres and was offered this 12€ extra - all 4 tyres inflated with nitrogen - which I accepted because it sounded beneficial. Now I'm wondering whether it was worth it.... I've not had any problems, and it was only 12€ ! Has anyone else used it? Happy with it? Waste of time/money? [8-)]

I got new green valve caps too!! [+o(] 

Sid

I got this pair of tyres from Norauto. They offer free top-ups for the life of the tyres. That's only of any use if you happen to be near a depot when you discover that the tyres need some more air! BUT they also say that the loss of air will be negligible - one of the main reasons for taking the offer in the first place.

It looks as though this is one of those threads that'll get re-opened in 12 month's time with an update report!

Sid

[quote user="sid"]

It looks as though this is one of those threads that'll get re-opened in 12 month's time with an update report!

[/quote]

I recall there was a similar post a few years ago.

I suspect that there is a very small beneficial result that can be measured under laboratory conditions, but which is totally irrelevent when one looks at everyday driving behaviour. The benefit to Nauroto's bottom line will be greater than that to the punter, after all, you have paid £10 to have your tyres inflated.

Unscrew the top and press the valve needle until air stops coming out. [:D]

Only leaves only a tiny percentage of other gasses (ordinary air is 78% nitrogen) once the pure nitrogen has been pumped in under pressure. 

But what a waste of time. [Www] 

Mine were inflated with nitrogen for free when I bought them at Feu Vert a couple of years ago but I just top them up with air from my compressor.

[quote user="cassis"]Unscrew the top and press the valve needle until air stops coming out. [:D]

Only leaves only a tiny percentage of other gasses (ordinary air is 78% nitrogen) once the pure nitrogen has been pumped in under pressure. 

[/quote]

Venting the tyre still leaves normal air inside, at atmospheric pressure, containing 22% of other gases. Inflated with nitrogen, to an average of 2 bars above atmospheric, will reduce this to 7% of other gases.

So you pay equivalent of £10 to remove 2/3 of the unwanted gases.

How much to remove them all?[:D]

Oh well, it's been worth a tenner to read all these replies [:D]

I must admit I was swayed by the claim that there would be little or no air loss. The last lot of tyres seemed to always need top-ups. Time will tell.

Sid

[quote user="sid"]

Oh well, it's been worth a tenner to read all these replies [:D]

I must admit I was swayed by the claim that there would be little or no air loss. The last lot of tyres seemed to always need top-ups. Time will tell.

Sid

[/quote]

Correct Sid, if filled with nitrogen there would be absolutely no air to loose [:D]

or lose!

On a car I'd say no point really.  Nitrogen is used to inflate aircraft tyres because there is no moisture in it which might corrode the wheel assemblies.

And as far as losing it through leakage goes there's no difference than if your tyre were filled with normal air.  We have to check aircraft tyres each day and top up as necessary.