UK Driving Licence Holders

Bugsy

[quote user="ErnieY"]So be it BB however it doesn't answer the fundamental point; what possible relevance has your (a) wife's maiden name to anything, especially so after 20, 30, 40 or more years of marriage [8-)][/quote]

Copied from another thread:

The name you're born with (registered with) IS your given (official) name.

A woman changing her surname on getting married is a convention, but her given (official) name remains the same.

A woman with three dead husbands still has the same official name.

A

divorced French woman who has used her husband's surname during her

marriage  must 'revert' to using her given (official) name and can

carry on using her ex-husband's surname only if he agrees for her to do

so.

If someone says their name is X, how do they prove it?

If a married woman wants a name than her maiden name shown on her driving licence/passport... she would be asked to demonstrate a legitimate reason to use that name.

A French person would show a livret de famille, which records marriage, children etc...

A non-French person is asked to show other papers.

[quote user="sweet 17"]A woman with three dead husbands?  Blimey, is she unfortunate or just plain careless?[/quote]

Indeed, Lady Bracknell; to lose one may be regarded as misfortune, two looks like carelessness...

...three? She's likely smart, beautiful & rich. [:-))]

(because she kept her name & didn't have to reprint her stationery, obviously)

Regarding the reason for the use of maiden name for women in France - its a revolutionary thing (liberte, egalite, fraternite, etc) - women were supposed to be equal citizens and maintained their own legal identity, not becoming mere chattels of their husbands... real equality took (or is taking) a while longer, but the principle was established long ago!

I haven't yet found documentary evidence, but I believe this goes right back to the 18th century... if anyone can confirm, I'd be interested.

cheers

Interesting.

If a lady retains her maiden family name after marriage, what family name do any children use?

If they take the family name of the father does that mean they are 'mere chattels' of the father?

Should (or can ) they take the maiden family name of the mother, thus becoming 'mere chattels' of her.

It all sounds very ' womens lib' to me.

From the DVLA website:

Driving in Great Britain (GB) on a licence issued in a European Community

Residents

If you have a valid community licence, this will authorise you to drive in GB for the period set out below. Alternatively, you can exchange your licence for a British one at any time.

Provided your licence remains valid you may drive in GB:
Car, motorcycle driving licence holders (ordinary driving licence):

• until aged 70 or for three years after becoming resident, whichever is the longer period

Lorry, minibus, bus driving licence holders (vocational driving licence):

• until aged 45 or for five years after becoming resident, whichever is the longer period

• if you are aged over 45 (but under 65) until your 66th birthday or for five years after becoming resident, whichever is the shorter period

• if you are aged 65 or over for 12 months after becoming resident

In order to continue driving after these periods, you must get a British driving licence.

Register of community licence holders

Holders of community licences with vocational entitlement who live in GB must register their details with the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency (DVLA). For further information you can contact them on 0870 240 0009.

Drivers of small vehicles may register also, if they wish. To register, drivers should notify DVLA of their name, address and driving entitlement. Drivers who register will receive their licence back together with a UK counterpart document. This would enable them to take advantage of the fixed penalty system for road traffic offences instead of having to go to court.

[quote user="Bannon"]

That's clear enough.

Half hoping there was a big loophole - the only one then being a small one to... move to the UK with a 'French' licence when you are 69 years and 11 months old.

Cheers [/quote]

Surely your licence would then be valid for only one month whereas if you moved at 70 or later it would be valid for three years  - or am I having a senior moment

[8-)]

[quote user="Bannon"]Half hoping there was a big loophole - the only one then being a small one to... move to the UK with a 'French' licence when you are 69 years and 11 months old.[/quote]I'm sorry but I fail to see your point I'm afraid, if you move back to UK get a UK licence, why all the fancy footwork [8-)]

If your idea is that a French licence is for life then consider the downside, if you get caught for a traffic offence, almost unavoidable in UK these days, with a foreign licence it's probably a court appearance not just a fixed penalty, highly inconvenient if you got caught in Scotland but lived in Cornwall. I'm not convinced that UK insurance companies will be too happy with it either.

It often only takes half the effort to do something properly as it

does to try and get around it [;-)]

Yesterday I changed my licence to a french one. Opposite the category for cars (B), under "Restrictions", it's printed "70 RU".

Meaning Royaume Uni.  Does this mean that if I reach age 70 and drive in the RU I'm not covered by a french licence?

(post coincided with Ernie's.)

They can do nothing else of course which is why those no longer possessing one are at risk of missing their expiry date, if indeed they are even aware that there is one which clearly a great many are not !

I honestly do not understand the DVLA policy of not allowing a non UK address on a licence and refusing to post outwith the UK. It seems completely sensible to me to have an address on a licence at which you do live, wherever that might be, as opposed to one at which you definitely do not.