Taking r/h drive car back to UK to sell

tuppence

I am hoping to take my car (r/h drive but French registered) back to the UK next week with a view to using it as a part ex for another vehicle. Can someone please tell me what I would need to do to put this into effect? Obviously I don't have a V5 or a UK mot certificate but I presume that the garages are able to do this via the DVLC. [8-)] Any info gratefully received.Also I would need to insure the new vehicle to be able to drive back here to France. Would a call to my insurers be sufficient to enable me to do this.

thanks

tuppence

Oh look , now it is working [:D]

I traded in earlier this year , dont forget you carte gris to give to the dealer.

Have you pre warned the dealer , a lot will not touch cars that have been registered abroad.

I also pre warned my insurance (Generali) and they said no problems , I just phoned through the details at the dealer and was covered.

Will your French insurance company, insure a UK registration plate car and let you drive it in the UK??? I ask this question because we looked at buying a motorhome in Germany. When we asked the insurance company they said they could insure us on a temporary basis (until we got french plates) for 30 days, but we would only be insured to drive within France. We would have to sort something else out to cover us until we got to the French border...

My French insurer was quite happy to cover me both in UK and for the trip down to France in a Belgian registered car plus big trailer, all he actually needed was the VIN number. I stress though that this was a very temporary arrangement for an agreed period.

Don't forget to notify either your Mairie or the prefecture of the date of sale either otherwise if somebody bought it in UK and brought it back to France you would be liable for any offences they committed.

I'm not sure a UK dealers temporary insurance would cover you outside UK, do check very carefully if offered this.

Anton: If it's French registered the logbook (V5) will have been surrendered in exchange for the Carte Grise. Good point on the headlights and plates although re-registration will be the dealers or subsequent buyers responsibility and I don't suppose either will really care whether it got it's original number back or not.

Thanks ErnieY,

According to the FAQ on this section, I seem to have all that is needed to sell in the UK. However, because I surrendered my V5 when I came over the only thing I can offer a garage is a copy of the carte grise. Obviously the car will have to get a UK MOT too. With regard to the insurance as long as I am OK to get back to France, no probs because I can then get the new vehicle correctly insured in France. My insurer is English-speaking and I am fairly sure that she will advise me re: notifying the prefecture of the sale. I did keep the old UK plates so that is a plus.[:)]  

thanks

tuppence

If you are taking it back to sell pretty well immediately and still with it's French registration then frankly much of the information in the sticky won't be of concern to you. Once you have officially passed ownership to a garage or individual, and that is at the point when money and keys change hands and you get a receipt, from then on it is their responsibility to attend to the formalities. Because of this I stress again the importance of carefully noting both the date and time of the transaction.

Bon chance [;-)]

Tuppence

Selling your car to someone in the UK is exactly the same as selling it to someone in France.

All you need to do is complete a certificat de cession and hand over one copy to the buyer together with the carte grise and CT certificate.  You then send the other copy of the certificat de cession to your prefecture to notify them you are no longer the owner of the vehicle.

Nothing more to do.....[;-)]

[quote user="Boiling a frog"]

I can see one tiny problem

If the OP does not have an address in the UK how

1) Is the garage going to register it with no UK address

2) is the OP going to get insurance (UK)

3) is the op going to get road tax when they do not have insurance.[/quote]Not a problem at all BAF.

A garage can inform DVLA that a car is 'in trade' hence there will be no need to register or tax it.

Subject to it's expiry date (and it doesn't just 'expire' anyway) the existing French insurance will cover it whilst a sale or PX takes place which equally nullifies the point about UK road tax.

[quote user="ErnieY"][quote user="Boiling a frog"]

I can see one tiny problem

If the OP does not have an address in the UK how

1) Is the garage going to register it with no UK address

2) is the OP going to get insurance (UK)

3) is the op going to get road tax when they do not have insurance.[/quote]Not a problem at all BAF.

A garage can inform DVLA that a car is 'in trade' hence there will be no need to register or tax it.

Subject to it's expiry date (and it doesn't just 'expire' anyway) the existing French insurance will cover it whilst a sale or PX takes place which equally nullifies the point about UK road tax.

[/quote]

I think you have the wrong end of the stick

I am talking about the car which the OP is going to purchase and then drive on UK roads(well at least to the ferry port or tunnel ).