Changing UK driving licence?

Pauline

No - Unless.

You reach 70 years of age.

You commit a traffic offence and the Gendarmes tell you to. Normally only for offences attracting more than 1 point.

Trouble is some Gendarmes don't even know the rules and will tell you that you must change within a year if you live here which is not true.

EDIT:

I'll add to that that if you have a UK photo licence and it expires then technically at least you cannot renew it and would therefore have to take out a French one.

Yes you should but it's not quite the full story as you can always get a letter of entilement from the DVLA which is acceptable to get a French licence.

It's what you would have to do if your current UK licence was lost or destroyed say.

[quote user="Pauline"]Thanks for the replies, next question, sorry to seem a bit slow but how do we go about changing it to a french driving licence, is it just at the post office?[/quote]

No, either at the Sous Préfecture or Préfecture, though some Mairie's will do it by post I believe.

See here for more information.

If your driving licence is issued by another EU member state then no you don't need to exchange it for a French one, unless you meet the criteria above ie 70 yrs or commit an offence.

If it's issued by a country outside of the EU then you have 1 year in which to exchange it for a French one.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Just been to exchange my licence and been told I need a medical.  According to the form it is if I want a E(B) Licence.  Well since I do not tow a caravan do I need this additional piece or would a standard B licence cover most things such as transit vans, cars etc. (from website anything less than 3.5T).  Also, my UK licence covers me to drive a minibus up to 16 people but seemingly not on a French licence (max 9 people including driver).

Also, if I were to go for the permis b and in the future went back to a UK licence would the entitlements reappear on my licence?