Priorité à droite

Aly

I agree with you but what you said was

'Should they and the French all amend their "unrealistic" codes to make them easier for the British to understand? Confused [8-)]

Oh! I know! They should all drive on the left!'

This forum is also about learning and understanding. Some contributors did not for example know about the various signs?

My reason for raising the subject was to alert people and to save lives. Myself and my friends could have been killed.

It isn't about being pro British or anti French or insisting demanding people drive on the left.

Many of us live or visit France, contribute in taxes and as such we have the right to comment, question, campaign for change and learn without being accused of being

little Englanders

• Replies 68
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="glacier1"]I really do think priorite a droite is a part of the code which is idiotic and should be abolished....it's OK if you are French and you are use to it, but for those of us coming from countries with "realistic" driving codes we do not understand it, and/or we can easily overlook it.  As a priority, I keep my eyes out for ALL traffic, if I see someone coming out I will slow down and wait, like a country and western showdown, until one of us backs down, usually we come to some sort of "agreement".  Round abouts are a nightmare here, I do not do as the brits, (3rd exit, keep left and then merge to the right hand lane after passing 2nd exit), this has proven to be near fatal as people speed on the outside lane all the way around.  Now I just follow the right hand lane traffic all the way around, it's the safest route.

I miss driving in Britain, it was so easy, I knew where I stood, here it's sometimes totally alien to me.  I drove through my local city a few months back, i saw a "A" driver, just passed his test, going through every red light at speed, not even slowing down to check if there was someone coming......seems the laws here mean nothing here.

If I were you I'd keep checking my mirrors and slow down when you are in doubt, it's best to drive slower than run the risk of an accident.

[/quote]

How arrogant can you be?

Have you got a French driving licence?

If not and you are as ignorant as you seem to be you should simply keep off the road, rather than importing your lack of understanding, then demanding that everybody else come round to your way!

OMG Norman, how dare you speak to me, or anybody for that matter this way, I hope you sleep better tonight because it's obvious that you've had a bad night sleep the way you are in a bad mood today!

Post edited by the moderators. Please do not post messages which contain explicit language or vulgarities (whether written in French, English or any other language).

[quote user="glacier1"]OMG Norman, how dare you speask to me, or anybody for that matter this way, I hope you sleep better tonight because it's obvious that you've had a bad night sleep the way you are in a bad mood today!

Post edited by the moderators. Please do not post messages which contain explicit language or vulgarities (whether written in French, English or any other language).[/quote]

From one or two postings it is clear that you have recently come to France and opened a business with little idea of how to to proceed, either on the business level, or on the level of understanding French laws and customs.

It would be a good thing that people such as you go back to the UK, where you would be happy driving.

So the French organisations and there members ( who are mostly French) who are campaigning against 'priorité à droite'- where should they go.

Nothing is fixed, laws are amended, cultures evolve and incorporate, customs evolve and change.

I sugest that you avoid talking about me or helping me, I do not ask you to put nasty posts on here with personal digs, if you continue I will put a personal complaint about you, I have done nothing to upset you or anybody in this matter.  I am not going to explain to you my "right" to be here.  I will reserve my opinions of you to myself but know this I do not hold you in a high regard.  Kindly refrain from responding to my comments, it's obvious you have a problem with me, the world is big enough for us all to live and get along, you are the king of your castle, not of this site.

I dont mind the system at all, and found it easy enough to get to grips with. It requires basic observation (but nothing over and above normal observation levels that should be practiced during normal driving anywhere else anyway) and an understanding of a few simple signs. IMO anyone who cant get to grips with how it works needs to re evaluate their driving skills, and anyone who calls for it to be abolished because they dont like or understand it needs to look long and hard at their attitude to integration.

Though to UK drivers PaD seems a strange concept it does have benefits.

I have come across numerous town junctions where the traffic flows perfectly well aided by PaD . Similar cases in the UK would require traffic lights.

In towns it also encourages greater awareness of what's going on around the driver, who needs to keep alert to traffic coming from his right.

A good example of how PaD can help traffic flow is the Paris Peripherique where the UK habit of blocking people joining the motorway is not only discourteous, but also illegal, as it is the joiners who have right of way.

It's very much in keeping with the new theories being developed in Holland and elsewhere  which have seen the removal of all road markings and signs within some towns meaning that the driver has to pick his way through traffic AND pedestrians.

The arguments about people pulling out onto motorway like roads is pretty academic. In most such cases the right of entry is controlled by Stop and Give Way signs.

[quote user="Scooby"]NormanH is clearly perfect...like his adopted country. 

Ps NormanH - your back is always 'up' - In fact you seem to have such a permanent hump maybe moving to France was like coming home, Quasi??

[/quote]

I don't follow your argument.

Perhaps you can explain the connection between this post and the preceding discussion?

[quote user="BJSLIV"]

The arguments about people pulling out onto motorway like roads is pretty academic. In most such cases the right of entry is controlled by Stop and Give Way signs.

[/quote]

But not in the case cited where the road was dual carriageway and there were no signs to indicate PaD.

[quote user="Scooby"]I'm not sure what integration has to do with the subject - it's either safe or it isn't.  In any case why would I want to 'integrate'?  I'm English and only visit France for my holidays..

[/quote]

Of course they are safe. Those who have accidents at them have generaly failed to notice them and not given way as they should. This is not the fault of the junction, but solely the fault of the driver, either through poor observation or lack of understanding.

The integration comment was aimed at those who live here and have called for its abolition, simply because they dont like or understand it.