Importing US vehicles to France

glacier1

Hey y'all! ;)

I have already imported 2 vehicles into France (a 2006 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.7lt V8 + lpg system and a 2007 Toyota FJ Cruiser, LPG system to be fitted in a few weeks).

I have imported the Jeep direct in the UK, it was SVA'd, plates, and LPG system done in Woking (Essex) and imported it to France

The FJ cruiser has been shipped into the UK, tax paid in UK, but put in a container for France, where I am going to register it 1st in France, by-passing the UK (except for tax).

I am passing both vehicles at the end of UTAC in Paris (the bigger DRIRE office). 

Cost for the Jeep 2,500 euro for the paper work plus UTAC tests - changes = tires, front lights (to conform to Europe), and a few changes from UK LPG system to Europe standard (no need for adaptor), also a cover for the lpg tank.  Please note I did all the paper work myself for this one. 

Cost for the Toyota FJ Cruiser - 3,500 euro for the paper work plus UTAC tests - changes = fog light, DRL (daylight running lights) and amber turn

lights which are automatically on.  Also, work needs to be done to tone

down the noise of the exhaust.

I did all the paper work for the D.R.I.R.E myself when it came to the Jeep, because I thought (my mistake) that UK SVA work is valid in Europe (I learnt by my mistakes!).  It has taken longer.  I am thus using a French registered importation company for the Toyota FJ Cruiser.  Please note UTAC in Paris (http://www.utac.com/uk/html/utac/utac.asp) costs 1,450 euro +/- for testing vehicles. 

I would be happy to share information with anyone who wants to know details about this.  It is hard, but you must be patient.  I would love to see more US vehicles in France!  US vehicles rock!!!!! :D

David - Drome 26

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on getting both of your expensive American SUVs homologated for use in rural Drome.

No disrespect towards your efforts, but the 8,900€ that you have paid out for the paperwork and the UTAC inspections, plus the cost of changing tyres, etc (and probably another 1,000€ or so for registration fees) equates to around half of the average working man's salary in your local area.

It's also more than many forum members here have to live on through their UK pensions....

Hi there Sunday Driver,

I am trying to help people in the same situation as myself.  It is not to be nasty, or to broal.  It's to HELP.  If anyone requires help with importing American vehicles, drop me a line, I'd be happy to tell you my experiences. 

Ps:  Thanks for the welcome to the forum

Welcome to the forum.

Likewise I mean no disrespect and each to their own but IMO such vehicles and their ilk are an obscenity and have no place on French roads nor for that matter any outwith their land of origin.

I sincerely hope you get no takers for your offers of help if it means an increase in the numbers of these unconscionable behemoths on our roads.

OK OK, enough moking!  Jeez guys!  What is wrong with a V8, running of LPG it is cleaner than most diesels on the road (regardless of size).  I sencerely hope that I do get responces to my post! :P LOOOL

I have had a 2005 peugeot 206 1.4hdi, my current town car is a 1992 Twingo, so don't say that I'm against French cars, I just love a bit of grunt!  (something you don't get from a 1lt petrol engine!). 

For those of you dead against American cars.....I hear the weather in Cuba is beautiful this time of year! :P

Vivo el revolution!

Think some people must have got out of the wrong side of their beds - tolerance of others is a wonderful thing. We are not clones.

And please done mention Cuba - thoughts of the wonderful island of Cayo Largo come to mind with miles of white sand beach to walk along and a turquoise sea to swim in - plus the crumbling delights of Havana with the Yank Tanks and the huge articulated buses overflowing with people.

Paul

• 2 weeks later...
I think you are just the man I need to speak to. (I'm assuming you are a bloke, but how sexist of me?)  Anyway, I plan to register my Ford F150 later on this year, it is currently on UK plates.  I thought there would be a bit of running around because of the paperwork etc. but had no idea it would cost that much.  As mine has already been registered in the EU, do you think that will make it any easier for me?

Sorry, Mungo, but a quick check of Ford's European websites doesn't turn up the F150 as being officially imported into the EU.

You'll need to go back to glacier's original post to see what will be required in order to import and register your vehicle in France.  Clearly, your vehicle will have gone through a UK single vehicle approval inspection during which any non-EU conforming components will have been changed, but the UK SVA itself is not recognised in France so you may still be required to submit the vehicles for the various UTAC tests.

Hi Mungo :)

I too had an F150 pickup (4.6lt V8) supercab (2001 model), it was right hand drive converted in the UK, I was OBLIGED to sell it in the UK :(  I miss it!

Coming back to your F150, my advise to you (although it will be costly) is to contact a company that deal with converting F150's to French law.  I've done both, meaning that I'm passing 1 myself with the DRIRE (nightmare plus it takes more than 6 months while they scratch their heads and pass documents from table to table, ADMIN!!!). 

All-in-all, it "should" cost you between 2,500 euro and 3,000 euro.  There is NO going around this :( 

Even though it was passed in the UK, it DOES NOT mean that it's allowed to be passed here, I've pleaded until I was red in the face, it makes no difference!

UTAC is an obligation, this is where they weigh, test noise, polution etc etc.  That is, about 1,500 euro, bold figure.  It's South of Paris, there is ONLY one place that deal with American/Japanese/Australian vehicles, and this is it. 

For you to start the process, you will have to run rings about people, you will ALSO have to get a certificate of conformity, or non conformity to French law.  This states quite honestly what work needs to be done to make the vehicle OK for French roads.  Mine (for my US made jeep), had about 8 things listed, from windows, to safety belt.  Don't get too worried.  F150's DO NOT exsist in France, so, they will not have European versions of your windows/safety belts, and they will not force you to change it.  WHAT they WILL ask you to change, if it is not European, is your tires.  Look at your tires, if they have E12, or E4 etc on it.   It means it's OK for European roads.  If you don't have it, count about 800 euro to change them to something like Pirreli Scorpion tires.....weight baring. 

Possitive points.  You ALREADY have had your vehicle passed with UK authorities, it means that all the hard labour to convert the lights etc has been done (move the fog light in the back to the left hand side yourself, this is an obligation for French roads). 

I have contacts with people here, I'm not doing this out of gaining money for myself, I am in the same place as you and I would like to help people in the same situation as myself.  I can give him his number (he's in Saint Etienne), he will occupy himself with your documents, and passing the vehicle etc.  IF it has LPG fitted in the UK, you will HAVE to pass it with an LPG garage who will look at every detail of your LPG system, and change some components.  I hope this not the case for yourself. 

Drop me a PM if you wish more info.  I also have a good, cheap French insruance for US vehicles, also, companies who will insure your vehicle against engine problems, transmition etc. 

Best of luck!

Forgot to mention, this company in Saint Etienne will also fit silencers to your F150, which will pass it with UTAC, otherwise your vehicle will never pass, the noise of an American V8 has to be downgraded to that of a small V6.  European law again.  I have found only 2 companies willing to take on my vehicle, this was the cheapest.

Thanks for all the comments, they have been really helpful.  I think I am going to need some help as my French is not so good and this sounds like it would be a nightmare, even for a native.

I've got a V8 5.4l with a special exhaust system that doesn't make it any quieter but it does sound fab!  I think I am beginning to understand why the price of F150s in France is so high and here was me thinking I would not lose any money when I came to sell it.

[quote user="ErnieY"]Welcome to the forum.

Likewise I mean no disrespect and each to their own but IMO such vehicles and their ilk are an obscenity and have no place on French roads nor for that matter any outwith their land of origin.

I sincerely hope you get no takers for your offers of help if it means an increase in the numbers of these unconscionable behemoths on our roads.

[/quote]

Hi Ernie,

even the French made cars with an american V8, here's one on appropriately a french road

in favour of importing even the Shipping-rates-hit-zero- [8-|]

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All

Here's a tale of Woe. I have just tried to import a Jeep Wrangler 1992 to France, UK registered but originally from US. I went all through the paper work, changed lights, had it weighed, Plates showing model, make and weights stamped under bonnet etc. Took it to the DRIRE (In Toulon) only to find out about additional tests at UTAC in Paris (which apparently include checking the driver can see behind using the mirrors )!!!  I am on the Cote d’Azur and original cost of the Wrangler ~5K.

I do wish I had seen this email thread earlier J

Will I bother, I don’t think so.

Cheers

PS anyone want to buy a Jeep Wrangler ?