UK Insurance for longer trips to France

Nickd

Your current insurers 60 day limit applies to the higher levels of cover that you may have (fully comp or TPFT) but they are legally required to provide the minimum cover applicable in whichever EU contry you visit, with no time restriction. If you want to longer periods at higher levels of cover,  you will need to shop around for an insurer who is willing to provide this. I have no experience of them, but I hear SAGA insurance offer this service.

I'm pretty sure that you'll find your 60 days per annum not per trip but your insurers are the people to clarify that. If it were per trip then on the 59th day you could legitimately jump on a ferry to touch UK soil then turn round and go straight back, clearly this is not the intent.

If you ask they they may be willing to extend the period - for a fee - although if you are exceptionally fortunate you may get it for free.

Thanks to everyone for these replies. Interesting that minimum cover applies for an unlimited period. You say this excluded Fully Comp & TPFT, but surely there is no lower cover than TPFT?

Not planning to change my routine especially, I just want the added flexibility so I'm not rushing back within 60 days when I come over with car..

Nick

To be precise your cover reduces to the minimum required by law in the country you are in.

In UK that is 3rd party as laid down in the Road Traffic Act or as Chancer says, tiers risques in France

[quote user="Nickd"]I just want the added flexibility so I'm not rushing back within 60 days when I come over with car..[/quote]I presume you have noted what I said about it being per annum not per trip ?

[quote user="sweet 17"]

Merci, Teapot; can't do the French version.

Are you going to be here for longer periods then?

[/quote]

With the cost of airlines and hire car, I am intending to drive more (good for my carbon footprint) and can bring more things with me.

Planning more trips for modifictions to the house too.

Ah.. I didn't realise you could have just 3rd party cover.

And regarding 60 days per annum or per trip, my insurer (R.H.Insurance) state specifically: "There is no limit on the number of trips you make in any period of insurance but each trip must be for no more than 60 days" I wonder if this is actually quite unusual and perhaps I am luckier than I ealised with this arrangement..

Nick

[quote user="Nickd"]

"There is no limit on the number of trips you make in any period of insurance but each trip must be for no more than 60 days" I wonder if this is actually quite unusual and perhaps I am luckier than I ealised with this arrangement.[/quote]I think so as I have never heard of another insurer offering it [:)]

Just read through the More than paperwork and the max stay is 180 days as per the insurance industry guidelines.

The Stuart Collins policy looks very good and is a true unlimited stay policy and the breakdown cover looks quite good too. Certainly going to consider that at re-newal time.

I can confirm after a phone call to my insurer Saga today that full comprehensive insurance applies to any EU country for the whole policy year. There are no number of day restrictions and you can stay in the EU for 365 days and be fully covered.

Baz

Well isn't this fascinating - thanks to everyone for volunteering all this information.

I have now obtained a quote from two companies offering unlimited time abroad for a UK registered car: Saga have quoted me £60 less than my existing insurer for my aging Saab while the Welsh broker want £100 more than my existing policy costs - all Fully Comprehensive. So not surprisingly I'm changing to Saga and can now forget about the 60 day limit business - great stuff!

Once again, many thanks for everyone's time and effort,

Nick  

That's a very good thing to do, Teapot.  To be honest, I'm always nervous about hiring a car because of the insurance costs, etc and then I worry they'd charge me for some imagined damage or other or for a full tank of petrol even though I have filled up.............it's always a complete nightmare and a necessary evil as far as I'm concerned.

As for all the stuff you'd be bringing for the works to your house, I'd imagine the savings in the cost of materials (and the food you'd be bringing over) would practically cover the cost of the trip!

As for Nick, you'd be pleased to know that Saga is also a very good firm to deal with, very fair.  OH had only taken out their policy when we moved over sooner than we were planning on and they returned the unused part of the premium without any delay or argument.

Even their call centre staff were friendly and knowledgeable.  I guess they like to handle their elderly customers with kid gloves (in case we died on them or something)![:D]