Telepeage 'Piggy Back' Scam - any way to stop it??

Daft Doctor

Hi, I was driving on the A40 back to Geneva on Saturday and I use a telepeage 'doofer'.  About 100m from the toll gate at one of the peages, I saw a french car in front of me going very slowly with his hazard warning lights on.  I overtook him and he immediately speeded up then tailgated me all the way through the telepeage gate, hence using me deliberately to get through for nothing.  Obviously completely pre-meditated.  Is this a common practice on the french motorways?  Do the french not use CCTV to root out offenders?  It all happened so quickly I didn't think to do anything.  Afterwards I wondered what would have happened if I had driven through the gate so I was just beyond the barrier then stopped.  Would the barrier have come down between my car and his, forcing him to reverse out and pay??  Any other strategies to stop it?  I would be interested on your views/experiences.

There was an article about this in Midi Libre the other week; it is a known issue and some people do it a lot. I would not suggest that you try halting on the other side of the barrier, because if his/her car hits yours, you are going to suffer a lot more problems than just being annoyed about someone stealing from the autoroute concessionaire. Eg: damage to your car, problems with insurance (of the other driver), etc: you will not be thanked, I'm afraid and could even be accused of having deliberately caused an accident, I suppose.

There IS CCTV in place at the péages, and from what I have read the concessionaires are prepared to take action against repeat offenders. With the gradual introduction of the 30 kph péages, I can only see this problem getting worse.

I do have a suggestion: displaying a prominent "GB" sticker and approaching the barrier hesitantly might dissuade some from choosing you as a target.

Regards

Pickles

Hadn't come across that one but I'll be on my guard now.

At the sort of speed one tends to go through anybody running into the back of me will impale themselves on my towbar and probably do me no damage [;-)]

God, I'm almost waiting for it to happen now [6]

Unless he had a tall vehicle it would not have cost you any more.

The barriers come down very swiftly after you leave the induction loop but they are set to allow a small non presence which would occur when a vehicle towing a trailer/caravan passed, specifically the drawbar. After that if a vehicle trys to pass whilst the barrier is descending it will stop in whats known as a stand-off position but never reverse travel, once the car backs up the barrier continues to the bottom of its stroke and then the tailgater must pay.

The only strategies open to you if you really get upset about someone elses ingenuity would be to use maximum acceleration and hope that their reactions are not quick enough or to stop and hope eventually that they will reverse up, which if another car has joined the queue cannot happen.

Or "if you cant beat em, join em!"

[quote user="Pickles"]There IS CCTV in place at the péages, and from what I have read the concessionaires are prepared to take action against repeat offenders.[/quote]AFAI recall the CCTV is forward facing and if someone is tailgating you closely it may well not not pick up their front plate. And why only repeat offenders, once should be enough !

Unless he had a tall vehicle it would not have cost you any more.

The barriers come down very swiftly after you leave the induction loop but they are set to allow a small non presence which would occur when a vehicle towing a trailer/caravan passed, specifically the drawbar. After that if a vehicle trys to pass whilst the barrier is descending it will stop in whats known as a stand-off position but never reverse travel, once the car backs up the barrier continues to the bottom of its stroke and then the tailgater must pay.

The only strategies open to you if you really get upset about someone elses ingenuity would be to use maximum acceleration and hope that their reactions are not quick enough or to stop and hope eventually that they will reverse up, which if another car has joined the queue cannot happen.

Or "if you cant beat em, join em!"

Editted.

Re the tall vehicle, if a van tailgates you up to the telepeage or credit card barrier the sytem will register and bill you as a car/caravan combination at the higher rate, if the driver knows his stuff and follows you out closely he will get a free trip at your expense.

[quote user="DerekJ"]So, is this happening on the entrance to a toll section or an exit?

If they get in but can't manage a successful exit then they are a bit stuffed aren't they.  No ticket and a maximum charge to pay.

[/quote]

It is at exits: particularly the large ones where the autoroute becomes free to use whilst bypassing a city. There's no point in not taking a ticket on entry.

Regards

Pickles

[quote user="Pickles"][quote user="DerekJ"]So, is this happening on the entrance to a toll section or an exit?

If they get in but can't manage a successful exit then they are a bit stuffed aren't they.  No ticket and a maximum charge to pay.

[/quote]

It is at exits: particularly the large ones where the autoroute becomes free to use whilst bypassing a city. There's no point in not taking a ticket on entry.

Regards

Pickles

[/quote]

Thanks Pickles.  Yes, of course, must engage brain next time.[:$]

[quote user="Pickles"][quote user="DerekJ"]So, is this happening on the entrance to a toll section or an exit?

[/quote]

Regards
Pickles
[/quote]

Yes there is.

One you cannot enter a péage section without withdrawing the ticket and two if you cannot find a suitable car to tailgate at the other end or the Douanes or G-men are in evidence it would be prudent to use the ticket and pay.

[quote user="Chancer"][quote user="Pickles"]There's no point in not taking a ticket on entry.[/quote]

Yes there is.

One you cannot enter a péage section without withdrawing the ticket and two if you cannot find a suitable car to tailgate at the other end or the Douanes or G-men are in evidence it would be prudent to use the ticket and pay.

[/quote]

Gotcha! Careful use of double negatives always catches someone who (like me) scans the message very quickly.

Regards

Pickles

Thinking this through, we only have the OPs interpretation of what happened.

Another interpretation might be:

French driver approaches exit gate and then fumbles in the dashboard for his doofer *- as a precaution puts on his hazzard lights.  Finds doofer and then tailgates through the gate, which may or may not have recorded his exit - after all French drivers always tailgate - unless they are overtaking on a blind bend.[6]

* many do not seem to use the windscreen holder in my experience