L'Argus and Setting Price of a car to sell

Mr Coeur de Lion

[quote user="Anton Redman II"]Local Renault dealers are offering second hand cars at Argus minus € 500.[/quote]I get the distinct impression that dealerships are much more canny about pricing than private individuals.  A lot of the stuff I look at which is AV by the roadside is vastly overpriced compared with what dealers offer (often with warranties added.)  Have a decco at what local dealers are asking for a similar vehicle and base your sale price around that (ie knock off a realistic amount given the fact that yours won't be dealer prepared etc.)  Quelle Voiture always quotes what I reckon are realistic depreciation figures for new cars but you wouldn't know it when you look at what some private sellers seem to want for their old bangers! 

If you live in the Tarn, your asking price should be the same figure you paid for the car several years ago. "Depreciation" has not been invented here yet.

I would suggest doing a region-wide search on www.leboncoin.fr for your model to get an idea of average asking prices and see how that compares to the Argus figure. Bear in mind though, that classified asking prices are not necessarily what the car finally sells for - if it sells at all.

• 2 weeks later...

Be careful with these 'guide' prices.

I am a motor dealer in the UK and find the most realistic value of a car is found on the Auto internet sales sites. An example http://www.lacentrale.fr/.

You simply need to compare your car to the cars on the internet and price according to the current market, regardless of what the 'guide' price is. You will find there are many factors that make your car saleable or not, as the case may be, at any given time.

If you want to attract a buyer quickly, generally speaking you will have to pitch your car under the equivalent dealer prices. But the age and price will have a bearing on how much under you pitch it.

Ask yourself the question...............How much would you need to save on the purchase price of your car to justify 'giving-up' the warranty and sale of goods act (or EU equivalent) benefits to make the risk worthwhile.

The answer to this question will vary depending on the value of the car; 1000, 5000,10000 or more. The saving will be relative to the outlay. For example; Would you take a chance on buying a car for 10,000 euros privately, without any protection to save 500 euros? Would you have to save 1000 euros to make it worthwhile?

If you would like an honest opinion on its value, then post the details and I'll help as best I can.

Good luck.

nemltd