Beware AXA motor insurance

Un autre Gallois

Just received notice that my motor assurance will not be renewed/continued after its renewal date on 12/01/2011. The reason appears to be because I have twice had the misfortune to need the car windscreen replacing because of stone damage (on both occasions repair was not an option) this year. I now have to declare to any other insurance company I am seeking cover from that another company has declined to renew, with the consequential/inevitable loading. If only I knew the attitude of AXA to these mishaps I would have given them notice before they did me!

Un AG

Sorry to hear that but I don't think the tactic is unique to AXA !

I can't give you the details I'm afraid but I believe there is a body in France you can go to in such cases who will look at the circumstances and instruct an insurance company to give you cover and stipulate the price.

Good luck

Thanks for the suggestions - I spoke with the broker who originally arranged the cover & he shrugged & said AXA were like that! He is trying to re - arrange cover, possibly with Generali - they have asked for details of the claims. I liken this to some banks who lend you an umbrella when the sun shines, then take it away at the first sign of bad weather!

Watch this space.

UaG

Interesting one for me this.  I own a small windscreen repair and replacement business here in the UK.  Insurance companies are a pain in the bum to deal with more often than not and they don't like paying for anything.  Rule of thumb though, the less you pay for cover the less the cover is worth.  We have problems with AXA imposing unworkable limits on us.  If you want to know my opinions of insurance companies here in the UK (can't be 100% if they are the same in France but might give an insight) drop me a PM, we dea with almost all of them and see the good, the bad and the bordering on the illegal.

Just out of interest, who did you use for the replacements, how was their service and what was the cost to your insurance co?

Just  try searching the forum for AXA and see how many people they have ripped off! When we first moved here 9 years ago they quoted 700€ for fully comp insurance on my 2.0 li family saloon.  I fell about laughing - got it at my bank for 300€. I wouldn't let this drop, don't let the barstewards get away with it.

Thanks Crossy & Jay. I thought I was paying a reasonable premium for the cover - 620€ this year for bells & whistles cover for a 2005 BMer 320 Touring diesel ( breakdown cover at zero kilometres, all glass breakage, including a panoramic sun roof, except for rear light clusters etc) with no "previous". I don't know the costs of the replacement screens - it was a local bodyshop approved by AXA - as they were invoiced direct via the broker after he had inspected the damage. I was surprised there was no excess for the second incident!

UaG

We used to be insured with Axa (not now, long story) and with motor insurance they offered a windscreen replacement service from an independent company.

We needed it on one occasion.

Gave the impression that it was a sort of extra bonus, not connected with the main policy.

Update! Couldn't find the body in France mentioned by Another, but did find "Le bureau National des Resilies" whose mission is to "accopmagne les conducteurs qui ont été, à un moment de leur vie, résiliés de leur compagnie d'assurance". They are a little expensive & do not seem to make any enquiry as to the reasons for annulment. However, good news today! I called into the local MACIF office with paperwork from AXA (which showed clearly that I was "non resp" for the "sinistres".; I had also unearthed a letter dated last December from AXA telling me I had been such a good chap they were offering me "l'avantage bonus longue durée". I was welcomed with open arms, given a bonus on top of my 50%, better cover than previously for a LOWER premium! Stuff AXA!!

UaGallois

When we came here initially we used AXA - never again! Nothing but problems with them. We did'nt even make a claim for anything, but they accused us of not sending paperwork which in fact we had even sent 3 times (finally a recorded delivery that they still denied the existence of when presented with the signed reciept!!) They were useless!!! Now we're with another company who appear to know what they're doing - and they're half the price AXA charged!