French for Engine Block Core Plugs

HoneySuckleDreams

Maybe not the right forum to ask this but there is no DIY-Car bit.

My xantia diesel has developed a leak from one of the engine block core plugs. I don't know the french to describe these things as I'm going to have to ask a garage to replace it. I know they are only a few cents to buy but I pig to fit.

Or do I just point and say "Regardez, ca fuit! "

Many thanks

[quote user="Jay"]Pastille de sablage (No 667 under "Core plug (cylinder-block)" on this TRANSLATION SITE which has been posted quite a few times and is worth bookmarking).
[/quote]

Wow what an excellent site - will look to see if they have the terms for when a spanner slips and you skin your knuckles.

Normally the problem with core plugs is getting to them - if you can then fairly easy to fit.

Paul

Strictly speaking a pastille de désablage.

http://www.google.fr/images?hl=fr&q=pastille+de+d%C3%A9sablage&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=univ&ei=mrQtTb3pGse24galpryJCw&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=4&ved=0CFoQsAQwAw

If you visit somewhere like Pont-à-Mousson producing blocks, heads, crankshafts and camshafts in sand moulds the plot will be self evident.

Thanks for the site, something sorely needed.

As to fixing the thing...i can barely just see the bung and will take a while to get to. I understand the need to maybe change all the bungs at once but it's a matter of cost. I could probaby buy the same year Citroen (in the UK though) for the cost of getting someone to get the engine out. I'm of for a devis tomorrow. Hopefully I can get away with replacing the ones that can be seen.

Tip-top-tips anyway, thanks

If you are going to perhaps change the car anyway, fling in some Radweld style product. (assuming the plug is seeping rather than missing entirely)

Whilst not an ideal permanant solution, if it means you can squeeze a further year or two out of an older car then there is no harm in trying.

Gotta ask, corroded or blown out through weak/lack of antifreeze ?

http://mgaguru.com/mgtech/cooling/cool_105.htm

I once had a plug blow out of the rear of an MGB engine block whilst on holiday in the Loire valley. The block was one which had only recently been professionally rebored and had had new plugs fitted at the same time so I can only presumably that this one had not been clouted hard enough. Fortunately when it popped out it lodged in the space between the block and the gearbox adapter plate so didn't get lost. By sheer serendipity there happens to be a hole in the adapter plate dead in line with it so after a little bit of head scratching I removed one of the front bumper overriders, thus procuring myself a 9/16" x 3' long bolt, stole a corresponding nut from one of the other bumper brackets, 'borrowed' a large washer from one of the front suspension wishbones, and used the 3 to put through the hole as a sort of jack both to press the plug back into place and then hold it where it remained for about the the next 5 years until the engine next had to come out and I could replace it properly !

Terrific site BTW, thanks [;-)]

[quote user="pachapapa"]

Strictly speaking a pastille de désablage.

http://www.google.fr/images?hl=fr&q=pastille+de+d%C3%A9sablage&um=1&ie=UTF-8&source=univ&ei=mrQtTb3pGse24galpryJCw&sa=X&oi=image_result_group&ct=title&resnum=4&ved=0CFoQsAQwAw

If you visit somewhere like Pont-à-Mousson producing blocks, heads, crankshafts and camshafts in sand moulds the plot will be self evident.

[/quote]

3.5 hours after Bugsy gave the answer PPP came along to also give the answer - that must be a great relief to the OP that PPP has officially sanctioned what it is called and he can now go about getting it replaced.