Peugeot keyfobs.

dave21478

So, the latest arrival is a`99 306 estate. I just bought it a few days ago and high on the list of to do jobs was look into the keys. It came with 2 keys which both start the car, but only one has the button for remote locking - the other is just a plain key. The remote key has a single lock/unlock button and works by line of sight (IR I assume?). Well, it was made from mostly sellotape and needed changed. Today it does not work.This is a problem, as the car is locked and neither key will operate any of the door locks manually. It seems to be a common problem I have found before where the locks never get used due to the remote being more convenient, so they seize up.

Getting in to the car will be no problem, but what about the key? A replacement from a dealership will be firstly expensive and secondly, potentially hard to aquire....Originally a Spanish car, re-registered in UK, then bought by me in UK and driven to France, the UK registration is not yet in my name and I have not yet started French reg......I would think that despite the usual seven forms of ID, they will be disinclined to help me.

Since I don't Habla Espagnol and the manual doesnt seem to be that detailed anyway, does anyone know if a second hand replacement key fob can be reprogrammed by me or will it have to be done by a dealer with the right computer software?

I don't know about Peugeots, but the fob for my make of car can be purchased in lots of places, i.e. Ebay or suchlike, but has to be taken to the main dealers for programing and is very expensive.[:(]

Having said that I'll bet there are loads of kids in south London who have the know how to program these things.[:D]

Dave I think it will have to be programmed at a Peugeot dealer its linked to the car, but as its an old one you may be lucky. You might try a forum that could help with info, its called  Frenchcarforum.co.uk they are the boys who can give you info, although its based in the UK all thing French are the same. There are different links to Citreon, Peugeot, Renault. You will have to register but they can be used in the future.

I have seen new bodies for the plipper on Ebay you just pop the circuit into the new body.

Good luck

Steve

We have 3 Pug vans none of them has 2 remote fobs.  Ours has the RF fobs and one stopped working, we have to lock it from the side loading door, pain in the bum.

I am sure the IR ones will need a dealer to program them for you.

If yours has a receiver mounted in the headlining just above the mirror try removing it and check for signs of water ingress.  French cars of that era have a problem with the seal on the aerial that's mounted above the interior light.  This lets water into the remote circuit, if this has happened you can often remove it, give it a clean with some solvent and a tooth brush plug it back in and it might be ok, they quite often are.

Hope this helps.

Ian

The fault is definately with the remote.

50% of the forums say I can program a replacement myself, the rest say its dealer only. Most of the online "guides" to reprogramming them refer to the style with 2 buttons, whereas mine only has one. I just wondered if anyone here had real experience of this.

Will get hold of one and try it.

Asked a Pug tech today.  He said you could try pointing the key at the receiver with the ignition off for 10 seconds then switch the ignition on, then off again and try.  He is only a youngish lad so might have been a bit before his time. He did say obviously to check the battery and the circuit board under the antenna.

Dave did you get a handbook or details as they usually put the key code info on a card known as the mechanical code something like CE00620.  When you change bateries you often have to re-set the key by presing and holding the button immediately after switching the ignition on and then off again.

I will ask my friend who is a vehicle locksmith and he re-codes transponders in his shop.

Try this chap - I've used him to repair Renault key cards and I know he does other makes and types of keys. He gives excellent service. I'm sure he can post to France.

http://www.keyrepair.co.uk/index.html

When I had a new 306 many years ago I am sure it came with only two keys, only one of which worked remotely. Both types need to be programmed to the car in order to de-activate the immobiliser when starting the engine, but when I needed an extra key a local shoe repair/key cutting shop could cut and program it with no problem.