Changing to French Licence

londoneye

Oh not as mysterious as I made it sound - sorry to disappoint. In UK he lost his licence (as in mislaid) and got a new one. When we got to France and eventually unpacked we found the original licence, which I am sure we should have returned but of course never got around to, so in effect he has two.

Fully accept that it can't be legal though so not a good idea - generally speaking we are pretty law abiding (ha ha clearly not always otherwise we wouldn't be having this debate).

I suppose we will have to chance the licence - annoying but not end of the world.

I'd need Sunday to confirm this but I'm pretty sure that the upside of this is that on your return to the UK there will be no need for him to renew his licence once he's 70 or ten years are up (whichever is the sooner) because the French one is for life, n'est-ce pas?

The French licence is only 'for life' if you live in France.  If you return to take up residence in the UK, then it will be valid there until you are aged 70 or for three years after becoming resident, whichever is the longer period.  You must then exchange it for a UK licence.

• 3 weeks later...
[quote user="Sunday Driver"]

The French licence is only 'for life' if you live in France.  If you return to take up residence in the UK, then it will be valid there until you are aged 70 or for three years after becoming resident, whichever is the longer period.  You must then exchange it for a UK licence.

[/quote]

Do you know whay that is SD?

It seems strange that in France an EU licence is valid for the length of its validity but in the UK it is not.  I thought this was a point of EU law, since I know Germany got its botty smacked by the EU for insisting on licence changes back in the late 90s.

Until the EU directive on licence harnonistion is fully implemented, still decades away IMO, each member state is free to apply certain of it's own rules on age limits and restrictions etc. About the one thing they do seem to have more or less in common is that something happens at age 70. For the French it's medicals to continue towing over certain weights, in UK although medical issues start to play a part in post 70 renewals no such limitations come into it, if you are deemed fit to drive at all you carry on exactly as before.

Both in this and many other fields the utopian theories of the EU are poles apart and very very long way from being put into practice.

Just a quickie.Don't forget(like I did) that no matter how reluctant you may be to lose your UK licence ,the photocard is only valid for 10 years and cannot be renewed if you do not have a UK address.On the plus side ,getting a French licence was dead easy

[quote user="AnOther"][quote user="londoneye"]Err actually Mr Stupid has two UK licences (best not go there)[/quote]Err, no he doesn't.

Your OH's most recently issued UK licence automatically cancelled any and all previous ones rendering them utterly worthless.

If he fraudulently offers up an old cancelled licence for exchange then in due course the Prefecture will return it to DVLA when the deceit will be revealed and he will be in far more serious trouble than a mere speeding fine.

[/quote]

But having a fake license will then match folks not having re-registered their vehicles ... so Brit Plates, No MOT, No Excise Tax (cos folks have declared their vehicle off-road thru SORN), fake license and no insurance. This is not aimed at OP and I am not looking to introduce thread creep. Just humour with an underlying message

CS, as they say "many a true jest is spoken in words" or something like that, in this case, in jest????? In for a penny, in for several €€€

We have an even better situation near here where one of our "ve hav vasee of making you takk" friends wot drives his Land Rover around with NO registration plates on it at all! Quite how he gets away with it I haff no idea, but I hope to hell he don't hit me!