Driving Licence exchange due to penalty points

stan

Having today just received my first ever speeding fine through the post (5km/p/h over the limit) and having paid it immediately online, I am now aware that I should change my UK driving licence for a French one to have the 1 penalty point deducted.

I am just enquiring how long I have to do this as we hope to be moving back to the UK in about 6 months time, and do not really want to have to go to the expense and hassle of changing it and then changing it back again.

I'm not sure they actually WILL want to physically deduct a mere 1 point, as long as you do not reoffend within a year.

A couple of years back I received a fine for a similar small speed excess when driving my French-reg "voiture secondaire".  I, too, wondered how they would be able to "deduct" a point from a blemish-free UK licence (I am UK-resident, so no question of my needing to change it), but after closer reading (whether of the paper document or on-line, I can't recall), I decided they did not expect me to present myself and that the notional point would expire by itself within 12 months if it was the only one, and if there were no more subsequent ones.

I am sure somebody will be along soon to give a link to the appropriate regulations.

Angela

Although the law entitles the French to demand an exchange for the deduction of even one point I think you'll find it extremely difficult to find anyone who has had it applied for an automatic one point speed camera fine, more points and it might be different.

If you get stopped for an offence then as said the gendarmes will normally tell you whether or not they require you to exchange your licence and they may or may not follow it up with a visit to see if you have, sometimes this can come months after the event.

Sit tight and do nothing would be the pragmatic course of action at this point.

As an aside points notionally 'lost' whilst still on a UK licence are not recorded anywhere so even if you have raked up a handful before having to exchange then the only points you will have deducted will be those for the offence which triggered it.

Earlier this year Chris picked up a speeding fine (45 euros) and we think a points deduction.

Having got a Titre (carte) de Sejour, his came with a form to exchange his licence, due to the points, we think, and he had one year to do it. On speaking with our neighbour however, he says do not exchange it for a French licence, exchange it for a European Licence, which apparently you can do.

"Having today just received my first ever speeding fine through the post (5km/p/h over the limit) and having paid it immediately online, I am now aware that I should change my UK driving licence for a French one to have the 1 penalty point deducted."

As others have pointed out I would do nothing unless asked to, especially if you are going back to the UK. I got a one pointer whilst on a UK license a year or so back - I paid the fine but nothing else happened. Some months later I changed for a French license as my UK photo license was expiring, but the point never showed up and my French one started clean.

Thanks to all who replied. It turns out that the speed limit had been reduced recently from 110kmph to 90kmph on that part of the motorway and there has been no warning sign erected to warn road users of the change!

[quote user="stan"]Thanks to all who replied. It turns out that the speed limit had been reduced recently from 110kmph to 90kmph on that part of the motorway and there has been no warning sign erected to warn road users of the change!
[/quote]

You must have missed the big round sign with the 90 in the middle.

Or were you expecting them to have erected an even bigger sign warning everyone that the limit had been changed.........[;-)]

[quote user="Sunday Driver"]

[quote user="stan"]Thanks to all who replied. It turns out that the speed limit had been reduced recently from 110kmph to 90kmph on that part of the motorway and there has been no warning sign erected to warn road users of the change!

[/quote]

You must have missed the big round sign with the 90 in the middle.

Or were you expecting them to have erected an even bigger sign warning everyone that the limit had been changed.........[;-)]

[/quote]

Bad choice of words, I meant that there is no big round sign with 90 in the middle.

[quote user="pachapapa"]Is that on just one side of the road or both sides of the road?[/quote]

I have only checked it once since the speeding incident, ie the side I was clocked on!..and there is definitely no sign with 90 in the middle..the camera is there though! I do not know about the approach from the other direction, as I did not return the way I came. Either way, it won`t happen again.  :-(

[quote user="Keni"]

AnOther,

Pierre reckons if you lose your motorcycle permit etc., on a French licence, you can retain it on an Europena licence, or something like that!

[/quote]Keni, the question is what is he calling a 'European licence' because AFAIK there is no such thing and it's unlikely that there will be in any of our lifetimes.

ALL licences issued in EU countries these days are 'European' licences, in the sense that they permit the owner to drive in all other EU member states. But since there is no such thing as a license issued by anything other than the country in which the person is resident (technically resident, at least) ipso facto, 'European' is always an extension of a 'national'  licence, and not something which can exist separately.

Anything else is either a con or codswallop (or quite possibly both!)

p

That's where I was going Jazzer, European MODEL licence NOT European licence. As GP says in that sense all EU country licences are already 'European'.

The inference from Keni's informant was that there was some sort of  'pan European' licence available which of course there is not, any more than there is an often mentioned yet nonexistent  'international' driving licence.[;-)]

My understanding is that France are due to introduce the EU model next year so anybody thinking of exchanging a UK one would be advised to do it before then as otherwise their new licence will need periodic renewal as opposed to lasting for life as they do currently [;-)]

So before my thread goes off topic completely towards European Drving Licences, the consensus of opinion/advice is just to sit it this out and not make the change towards a French driving licence for the sake of 1 point, unless "told" otherwise!