Cars and Occaisional Use

f1steveuk

I'm pretty certain I know the answer to this, bu you never know!

I've found a very nice, very very low mileage Renault Megane Alize 1.6 Sport convertable. No use in the UK, but taken home and left in the garage for occaisonal use, it would be quite good. We go home for a month every ten or twelve weeks at present (home being France), and when we are not there, the car  would be locked up in the garage under the house, all alarmed etc.

Shouldn't be difficult to register in France, it's French, but insurance? I guess regardless of use, I'd have to have a full 12 month policy?

I fell foul of a UK Classic car insurance. You could insure for six months (summer use) but of course, if anything happens to the car over the winter, no cover.

Is there a limit use insurance available in France, or is it just better to get normal 12 month coverage?

As continuous third party insurance is obligatory in France (and as now introduced in the UK) you'll find that insurance policies are only avaliable on a twelve months contract basis.

Under the law, you are liable for any third party claims arising from the use of your vehicle, even unauthorised use as in the event your vehicle is stolen.

You can get a limited mileage comprehensive policy with MMA (they do 5K km/year and 10K km/year with SMALL rebates for unused kms): similar products may be available elsewhere.

Unless you have a particular attachment to this car, do your sums carefully before you buy: ours gets rather more use than yours will, and yet I still suspect that it would have been cheaper for us to hire a car when required.

Much as I expected, so no surprises there, thanks!

We bank with Credit Agricole, so that's useful.

I have done some of the sums, the car is so cheap it's silly (but still needs checking out first of course), but as we drive back and forth, it will give the other family car a rest each month, plus, we we can start flying back from time to time as well, there'll always be a car there to use.

Fortunatley it's the early Megane, so I can do any required maintainance needed, so with no road tax, and a limited mileage insurance, it's sounding like a distinct possibility!

CA = expensive. Got a quote from them same time as getting a loan to buy a car but Groupama were €250 cheaper per year for my son's proposed C4 airplay and he is still a debutante as well, plus CA insurers without naming them are not good after a friend's experience of them.