Lost in France

Jazzer

The vineyards of Burgundy to the west of the A6, yes, been there, tried to map read, navigate those windy narrow roads. Had the screaming match in the car, had a good cry, swopped places and I drove and he navigated. We were only on these little roads as we got onto the A6 at Lyon and were diverted off it at Belleville, so one short distance and as we were heading to Brittany, headed north west from there. Had no choice, the wagon drivers were on strike.

I have trouble remembering a holiday where there was not at least some argument about map reading in the car. Divorce, nah, surely even in this case it was just the last straw, I don't believe anyone would divorce over 'one thing'.

Neither do I believe anyone would divorce over one thing.

My map reading skills are non-existant, at least when in a car. I suffer from travel sickness, and can't read in a car, but every summer, my OH seemed to think I had turned into a competent navigator somehow. The number of rows we had over the issue was considerable.

On one occasion we were running late to put our car on a train at Paris, so he handed me the map, saying there was a short-cut and could I direct him. We missed the train. However one good thing came out of it: he hasn't asked me to navigate since.

We laugh about it these days.

Oh - the joys of SatNav... the soothing voice... the clear directions -

Until the driver ignores the SatNav and misses the turning !!!

Prie-SatNav days I really was the excellent map reader;  I knew where we were going, which direction (north, south, east, west) - could navigate by the sun and shadows...

The problem came when the driver ignored my instructions, or 'mis-heard' them and we'd go speeding past a junction where we needed to go right or left.   It was always a case of - 'you didn't tell me in time...' etc etc.

One day I'd had enough;  when the car had stopped at a set of lights I got out, and disappeared up through a no-entry road, round into a shopping mall.    Spent the next half-hour wandering around, returned to the spot where I'd got out of the (prepared to take train or bus home (if I did indeed go home !!) - he'd parked the car and was waiting for me - looking extremely sheepish. 

Thank the Gods for a SatNav - I now sit in the back of the car and enjoy the scenery while he has his 'love-in' with his new mistress - the sexy voice on the SatNav... - aaaah married bliss, peace and quiet.

Chessie

I remember some time ago taking the wrong road back home off of the ferry, I was driving, OH supposed to be navigating. .It was late at night, raining and Mr RH had enjoyed a drink in the bar on the ferry.

I knew roughly how to get us home from where we ended up but needed him to read the directions - he dozed off. In frustration I drew up off the highway, right under a big , well lit directional sign so I could see to read the map myself.

He woke up and wanted to know why I was parked in that particular 'stupid' position...I'm afraid I told him!

We finished the journey, about 40 miles of unfamiliar windy roads, in stoney silence and divorce was on my mind every mile I can tell you.......

These days he drives, I navigate.....

[quote user="AnOther"][quote user="idun"]I don't want a sat nav and would be upset if someone bought one for us. I'd rather have an electric knife to be honest.[:D]

[/quote]Easier to kill your OH with I suppose than ramming a sat nav down his throat  [:D][:D][:D]

[/quote]Reminds me of my father's comment about electric carving knives. He said they would be ideal as suicide weapons because if you messed up cutting your thraot you could always electrocute yourself[:D]

[quote user="sweet 17"]

[quote user="idun"]I don't want a sat nav and would be upset if someone bought one for us. I'd rather have an electric knife to be honest.[:D]

[/quote]

How right you are, id.

Give me an up to date map any time!

[/quote]While I prefer a good map to a satnav for navigation purposes I am struggling to see how a knife electric or otherwise can help me find my destination[:)]

What you have not realised is that with an electric knife you can cut nice fine slices of homemade bread to make lovely sandwiches, which you can eat when you are lost![Www]

ps wooly mentioned sat navs as wedding gifts, I'd prefer an electric knife.