Terrain a batir

Hi,

Is there anybody on this forum that has bought a piece of land and built their own home?

The reason I ask is that I’ve just been to see a building plot that I really like (great view) and am considering making an offer.

What worries me is that I’m not at all familiar with the planning system for new-builds here. Can anybody explain the term ‘viabilisé’? Are there any documents that confirm that the land can be built on before I sign anything?

Also, if I want to build it myself, are there any specific qualifications/membership to professional bodies (I’m thinking of an equivalent to the NHBC) that I need to have?

Thanks in advance for any help.

Chipshop Charlie

The certificate d'urbanisation states what catergory the land is (PLU) and whether it can be built on and to what extent.  If the CU is positive this basically gives you outline planning permission, then when you want to build you have to submit detailed plans via a French qualified architect to get the actual planning permission. 

The seller should have an idea of whether the land can have a permanent habitation built upon it, or the mairie may be able to give you an indication from the PLU, and if its being sold as 'terrain a batir' then this should mean that they have already applied for a CU and it was positive - but as a safeguard you should include a clause suspensive in your compromis de vente so that you can drop out if the CU does not indicate that you can build as you wish to.  We were advised to state a square metreage of the house you wish to build and also state that it was for permanent habitation, when applying for the CU.

Note that there are rules about what you can claim against capital gains tax in the future, and if you don't use materials bought in France or French registered artisans,  you won't be able to deduct the costs of building from any profit and so could end up with a huge capital gains tax bill.  In your position, I guess this means you should become a registered artisan - there are lots of people on here who know about this and can tell you how to go about it.

Also you may have to provide a 10 year warranty, and if you think that you may sell the property in that timescale it's a must, or else the house could be unsaleable or fetch a greatly reduced price if you sell within the 10 year period

The simplest method of new build in France is have one of the major housebuilding companies do it for you. Masion Aura, Maisons Copreco or IGC. There are many. Buy land yourself with clause suspensive in the contract that the CU is valid and positive. The building companies will do everything else, including applying for planning permissions, drawing plans to your requirement, arranging services, everything. They all incidentally have English speaking staff to help. They are also very cost effective and complete to a time deadline contract. Nothing is left to chance. It's very simple and stress free. Having gone through the process myself I cannot speak highly enough of their service. Forget renovation or DIY. New Build is almost a perfect answer. The only downside is expect to wait 18 months - 2 years before you have a habitable house. 

• 1 month later...

I am also in the position of chipshopcharlie.

We have bought a piece of land which has outline planning permission on it.

Have now obtained the required forms to apply for full planning permission - will be providing my own drawings etc.

Next step is to visit Batimat in Paris in November to source supplies.

Would be very grateful for any info on this process and in particular with regard to building supplies near Confolens in the Vienne region.

Our estate agent remarked about the 10 year guarantee - it would be interesting to know more about this , whether I need to register as an artisan or can just buy the insurance.

You will find that it is virtually impossibe for an amateur to get the ten year insurance, simply because the insurance company would have no basis on which to asses the risk (track-record).

The law requires anybody building a new property to take out this insurance, but there are no checks or penalties if you don't have the cover.

If you are building for yourself it isn't really a problem unless you expect to be selling within the ten year period, in which case the property is either unsaleable, or any purchaser has the whip hand in the negotiations as they would be buying buying an "illegal" property.

For the record the insurance isn't too expensive. For a registered builder it runs at about 2% of the total build cost.

• 3 weeks later...

[quote]The certificate d'urbanisation states what catergory the land is (PLU) and whether it can be built on and to what extent. If the CU is positive this basically gives you outline planning permission, t...[/quote]

Hi Debra,

can you explain to me what a CU actually is and who pays for it, the seller or purchaser of the land? We have just signed the compromis on a piece of land and were told it had building permission -'certificat d'urbanisme'. We have shared the bill from the 'geometre' with the seller of the land to mark the bornes. Now we have been told by the 'geometre' that there is a further bill of several hundreds of euros down to us for this CU. It would help if we knew what this CU was?

I think you are getting confused, the CU is the certificate d'urbanisme and it's free, normally the seller would have applied for it, but be aware it is valid only for 1 year and must be renewed before the expiry date (I can't remember if it's 2 or three months before) unless in the mean time you have been granted full planning permission.

If you or the seller don't apply for an extension of the CU in the set time period you have to re-apply for a new CU (certificate d'urbanisme) and it may not always be granted again, rules may have changed etc.

• 4 weeks later...
[quote user="Athene"]

Hi Debra,

can you explain to me what a CU actually is and who pays for it, the seller or purchaser of the land? We have just signed the compromis on a piece of land and were told it had building permission -'certificat d'urbanisme'. We have shared the bill from the 'geometre' with the seller of the land to mark the bornes. Now we have been told by the 'geometre' that there is a further bill of several hundreds of euros down to us for this CU. It would help if we knew what this CU was?

[/quote]

Sorry - I didn't see your question until now.  The CU shouldn't cost anything - its just a matter of requesting the information from the mairie regarding what the land is classed as and what size building, if any, could be built upon it.  Are you sure the geometre isn't talking about an actual planning application?

Debra