Changing car insurance company - no-fault accident

chessie

We are in the process of changing our insurance company for our two cars;  we have talked to a new insurance agent who has provided us with new insurance quotes with different insurance company.

I have just remembered something which is now worrying me.    Over 6 years ago I had an accident in my car - which was totally the fault of the other driver - coming out from their private drive straight onto a side road without looking or stopping and who drove into the side of my car.    Because total fault was admitted, their insurance company paid for all damage to my car.

Had forgotten about this;  do I need to tell my new insurance agent, and new insurance company, about my non-fault accident ;  or does the time elapsed mean it can be discounted for new insurance cover ?

Oh dear - early onset of something or other - can't remember what it's called.

Any advice appreciated.

Chessie

We are also in the process of changing our insurance. About 3 years ago we had an accident -also not our fault. The agent did ask about accidents in the last 5 years I think. We told her about this one and when we explained what happened she said that as it was 3 years ago and not our fault it would be discounted. Best to tell them I think-you may find it makes no difference at all but better safe than sorry.

All you need to do is answer truthfully any questions on the proposal form be it on paper or a web page, if you are asked them verbally by your agent demand to look at what boxes he has ticked before you sign any form, I have known them deliberately change risk related things to make the premium more attractive, in that circumstance you risk a claim being refused.

Beyond that you are Under no obligation to declare anything to them, as Dave said, if they ask, tell them.

Editted.

Chessie, you need do nothing at this stage, all you have is a quote, wait till you accept it and fill out the proposal form including the accident if asked, ie within the time frame, if the premium goes up you will have a good bargaining tool for reducing it but just be very carefull that the agent doesnt suddenly develop deafness and amnesia and remove your declaration of the accident.

I know this is UK but surely something like it applies in France:

http://www.butlerevans.co.uk/insurance/motor-fleet/when-should-motor-accidents-be-declared-to-insurers

Sorry, use Chrome and Ubuntu so cannot make it linkable - come on write the software to enable this

Thats an insurance company website - not exactly a reliable impartial source.

As I said - if they ask - tell them. Be honest and hide nothing. If they dont ask, you are under no obligation at all to volunteer anything. It is up to them to decide what constitutes a relevant question and to ask it and it is up to the customer to answer it honestly - they simply can not expect every customer to cough up every bit of information that might be relevant.

Thats why they often use the catch-all question, "any accidents claims or convictions in the past x years?"

I think some potentially dangerous advice is being given here.

An insurance contract is one of utmost faith which requires that an applicant voluntarily disclose any fact which could cause the insure to reassess the risk and what constitutes that is a decision for the insurer to make not you.

If a specific question is asked, say any accidents or claims in the past x years then you can answer based on that but even then there will usually a question along the lines of any other facts not already declared which may affect the risk and that is where you should mention anything else.

Mostly it will just be noted but not affect anything but you will have disclosed which is the important thing.

That all said and for the OP personally I wouldn't be in the least bit worried about the non disclosure of a non fault accident 6 years previously, it will be in your dossier anyway.

On the subject of 'no fault' accidents.

A couple or three years ago we were changing our car insurance from a UK provider to a French provider.

We required proof of no claims bonus from the UK.

This was refused by the UK Insurer because ''a claim was outstanding''

Apparently a person (unknown) in Oxford had reported that our car was involved in an accident, and had failed to stop. The car and we were traced via the registration number. After being contacted by the Insurance Company ( No police involvement at all) we proved that at the time of the 'so-called' accident our car was in France, and had been for some days. This was accepted by the Insurance Company.

It subsequently transpired that the car reportedly carrying our reg number was a different make and a different colour !!!!

Still the UK insurance company considered there was an outstanding claim, and would it would be considered as such for not less than 6 months. They continued to refuse to supply proof of no claims.

Thank you everyone for helpful - and interesting - advice.  

We'll wait until we receive the paper-work and if this no-fault accident is 'out of time' then I won't include it.  

Other party had accepted total responsibility - and insurance company paid up with no quibble.  

Not my 'dangerous, reckless or careless driving' at all.

I take the line that if an insurance company can wriggle out of their side of the deal, they will.    So I was rather worried because I had forgotten about the incident and wondered if it was going to count against me by the insurance agent.   Feel a bit happier now - so thank you everyone.

Chessie

[quote user="AnOther"]I think some potentially dangerous advice is being given here.

An insurance contract is one of utmost faith which requires that an applicant voluntarily disclose any fact which could cause the insure to reassess the risk and what constitutes that is a decision for the insurer to make not you.

If a specific question is asked, say any accidents or claims in the past x years then you can answer based on that but even then there will usually a question along the lines of any other facts not already declared which may affect the risk and that is where you should mention anything else.

Mostly it will just be noted but not affect anything but you will have disclosed which is the important thing.

That all said and for the OP personally I wouldn't be in the least bit worried about the non disclosure of a non fault accident 6 years previously, it will be in your dossier anyway.

[/quote]

Thats a load of shite. Its not your place to decide what might or might

not be relevant to the insurer. Answer their questions - nothing more.

When

you took out your household insurance, did you list everything you have

broken or damaged around the house in the last five years? as that

information could be used to re-asses your risk regarding accidental

damage claims.

You didnt though, did you? they asked you if you hade made any claims in the last 5 years and you said "nope".