Overtaking Cameras

BIG MAC

Hi Folks,

Before I go and splash the cash does anyone have any recommendations as to a forward facing camera suitable for RHD vehicles to assist in overtaking in France? I drive a van often on my own so don't always have a passenger to tell me when it's safe to take a look past an artic etc. There's quite a few available online just looking for recommendations if any.

I have an interest in this thread as I was looking to get one for my son's car.

The only conclusions I have come to are

1.   The really cheap ones are rubbish and don't work well at night.

2.   If you intend to record with it, get a fast memory card (series 10 for preference) or the playback will be awful

When turning right if the junction is beyond a right angle then in a van it can be a challenge seeing back up the road you are joining. On such an occasion I had my daughter with me and asked her is it ok to go?

She said yes - after this car...presuming she meant the car now passing I made to drive out ..a double take revealed it was towing a long low trailer...I only just missed it! The OT Camera purely for seeing past lorries no recording required although it may be handy now I think of it.

I had an "incident" in the UK when an idiot slammed his brakes on in front of me. Our bumpers kissed at about 5 km/h, no damage whatsoever. Two years later he is claiming whiplash injury. Wish I had had a camera fitted! So thinking of installing one of these seeing as they are so cheap now:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/2-7-inch-140-degree-Recorder-Supports-G-sensor/dp/B00MVNEOYC/ref=sr_1_23?ie=UTF8&qid=1416250360&sr=8-23&keywords=car+Cameras#customerReviews

Edit - I like the look of that one because it has a pic of my car on its screen

If you're planing on getting a dash-cam then for the price of an SD card it might be worth using the recording function.  Now I think of it, you may need to put an SD card in for it to function anyway, my still camera won't work unless there is a card present.

Just another thought but I presume that you will need the display to be on all the time?  I don't know but maybe these cameras turn the screen off as it would be distracting if it were mounted by the rear view mirror for example, especially at night

Would an ordinary screen recorder really give a large enough image to be usable? Most of them only have tiny screens.

The only thing that seems to advertise itself specifically as an overtaking camera is this one

http://www.4kam.com/continental_cam_lhd_rhd_car_camera.htm

at £150

Which has a screen roughly twice the size , like a typical satnav. Even that strikes me as being a bit small!

There is also this Boys Own periscope contraption, which at £40 is at least considerable cheaper!

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KRUGOZOR-UNIVERSAL-MIRROR-SYSTEM-FOR-RHD-AND-LHD-CARS-/181585443665?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item2a4755fb51

• 2 months later...
Just reading this makes me so very glad I opted to get a left hooker before we moved over here. So much less to go wrong when you are sat on the correct side of the car in the country you live in. French regestered too [8-|]

Right hookers are OK for on holiday here, but there are limits IMHO..

As for double mirror systems? It seems to have worked quite well on submarines for a while, but their system is a bit more expensive than what I've seen quoted here [:-))]

The one advantage of a right hooker here is when you have to get out to pay at peage points on the autoroute, car parks, etc. It makes you everyones friend on busy daze init [8-)]

[quote user="Jonzjob"]     

The one advantage of a right hooker here is when you have to get out to pay at peage points on the autoroute, car parks, etc. It makes you everyones friend on busy daze init [8-)]

[/quote]

Not if yoos av a doofer like what we as. [:D]