Car storage for 2 months whilst abroad

CeeJay

I shall be popping (ha ha) across to New Zealand for Jan and Feb so the trusty Kangoo will have to stay in the garage unattended. I would welcome advice on what steps it would be prudent to take beforehand.

For example, do I need to disconnect the battery and/or keep it on trickle charge, is there really any need to jack up the axles to alieviate tyre flat spots?

Any suggestions welcomed. Thanks

Lucky b.ugger ! (damn stupid software !!!)

Two months is nowhere near enough to be worrying about flat spotting tyres, or much else really.

What with immobilisers etc. though the battery will probably not survive that but rather than mess about with trickle chargers I'd just disconnect it.

Can recommend an Optimate 6 battery charger. This will condition the battery etc. Not cheap but keeps the caravan battery in tip top condition for its very occasional use.

Shall be buying another for the wifes car which spends 6 months of the year in the garage when we are in France.

I wouldn't chance using a normal charger for more than a day or two. You need a smart charger as per the previous post.

The one I use for mine is a Ctek. They are used by Bentley, Aston Martin, etc.

Here's a link for you; http://www.ctekchargers.co.uk/

You can find them on Ebay and Amazon.

OK, thanks all for the advice, I will probably in the light of comments made just disconnect the battery.

AnOther you really must get that software sorted!!!!!

As an aside I have just come across a web site called Cornish Pasties n.z. Husband and wife left Cornwall few years back and set up a Cornish Pasty making shop and bakery in Cambridge, New Zealand, which is very near where I am going. I am going to be in heaven for 2 months.

Just had a thought.....wonder if they call them cornish pasties being a protected species and all!!!!!!!

Ernie wrote 'You could buy a new battery for what some of those Ctek chargers cost !'

Yes, but then the new battery will fail whilst you will still have the smart charger and because of the functions it carries out the battery will probably have an extended life.

A few years ago we did a 2 month trip from mid-December to mid-February to Australia and New Zealand and just left the cars on the drive as they were. The Porsche and the Saab both needed their batteries charging, as their alarms used up the batteries. My Polo had no such refinements and started immediately.

Similarly, when we're in France for up to 2 months at a time, our current cars, a newer Polo and a Toyota hybrid, are left as they are either in England on the drive or in France in the garage at all times of the year and both have always started first time.

Hope you have as great a trip as we did!

We bought one of those cheap combined car battery booster/electric tyre pumps, probably from Aldi. Great investment as, like the insurance value of taking an umbrella with you, it basically guaranteed that we never needed to use it on our own car. Used it on those of plenty of our French neighbours though ...

• 1 month later...
it also worries me !

------------

[url=http://www.coquegalaxyalpha.com/category-etui-samsung-galaxy-alpha-30.html][color=#8e8e97]étui samsung galaxy alpha[/color][/url]

[url=http://www.coquegalaxyalpha.com/category-coque-samsung-galaxy-alpha-29.html][color=#8e8e97]coque samsung galaxy alpha[/color][/url]

• 3 months later...
I know the thread is old, but I believe it worthwhile to add for people who may read it...

When leaving your car for an extended period (if manual gearbox), always hold the clutch down (piece of wood jammed etc) to release it from the flywheel. This ensures it will not rust onto the flywheel. Chock the wheels and leave the handbrake off. Again to assist the brake discs not rusting onto the drum / rotas

You'd be unfortunate in the extreme to suffer a seized clutch or brakes after a mere two months and if you chocked the wheels in a public car park, such as at an airport, what would you reckon the chances are of them still being there when you came back ?

• 7 months later...
Well, can't really think why this has been bumped up but just to let everyone know that because we enjoyed it so much last time round we are off again next week to NZ for a couple of months!!!!!! (Sorry if I've picqued anyone, ha,ha)

Also, as we are on Tempo electricity tarif we could also miss all the red days!!!

Last time I just disconnected the battery and on return the trusty old Kangoo started first time.