What are my chances of part exchanging a RHD car?

Debra

I bought yet another one when my old car broke down because it was there at the time and I could afford it. However, now I've come to the time I need to teach my sons to drive so really, I need a LHD drive car.

Rather than buy one and have the RHD sitting around too (and paying insurance for it) I'd like to get rid but need another car straight away, since I can't do without a car.

I'm also rubbish at choosing reliable cars so I'm probably better off going to a garage and getting one with some sort of warranty. So what are my chances of being able to part ex the RHD one?

If it is French registered then a garage that has any commercial nouse will take it as a trade albeit probably at less than they would a LHD car but if its still UK registered I doubt that they would want the hassle, they may make a token offer and then sell it for spares and/or scrap.

What is wrong with teaching them to drive in a RHD ? Both my eldest sons started on RHD and had a few lessons at the driving school in a LHD. They did all their conduit accompagnee in the RHD and the test in the LHD. The bloke at the driving school reckons it's a really good idea as he reckons it makes them more conscientious drivers

I was told they weren't allowed to, same as I was told they weren't allowed to drive a car above 90bhp but you're the second person to tell me today that you've done it and one person has told me they can drive above 90bhp as long as they're a second driver on it, not the main driver. So if that's the case, I may be better off keeping it rather than lose money exchanging it (both ways, less money for it and higher priced car in a garage) or selling it and possibly getting a car that might break down.

I hadn't realised there was a 90bhp limit (is there?). Our car is (was 152bhp...once upon it's life) and we had no problems..

There is no rule applying LHD over RHD for conduite accompagnee. As long as they do the km's , and to be honest, the little booklet you have to fill in for the km's they do is open to interpretation ! If they pass the test they can drive.

It's up to you. They can take a crash course and be on the road in 4 weeks but the insurance will be horrid. Or then can go the CA route. They spend a year on the road and the insurance is peanuts. Absolutely no difference it it's RHD or LHD (was it the Garage that told you that they had to drive a LHD?)

Confused? Yes I am :)

I'm thinking I'll hang onto it and get a small car for the kids. I may lose less money that way, though I'll have the insurance costs. At least I know I'll always have one car that works, hopefully. I've been offered a swap for it but it's for a very high mileage car.

A French guy came today and bought my old espace off me. It's not French registered and I advertised it for parts but he wants to register it. I've told him I'm not sure I'll find the V5 and he said it's ok - you can get a copy from the DVLA. As I sent off the export slip for the DVLA and then never bothered registering it because the work needed on it was too expensive, making it cheaper to just buy another car, I'm a bit worried that if I did that, the DVLA (or is it DVLC?) might ask me for road tax for it back to the date I sent off the export slip. :( (ie more than I sold the car for).

Tell him to apply for the V5, he has as much chance as you do, ie zilch!

I'm pretty sure that they will not re-issue a V5 for a vehicle declared as exported and I am certain that they will not post a V5 to an address outside of the UK.

I'll have to steel myself for my next job of wading through piles of paperwork both in my new place and my old place. Perhaps I should have done that before I got on with decluttering the barn. I must have it somewhere - along with the certificate of conformity I also told him I'd try to find. I wouldn't mind but as I told him, someone had already offered the same money he did just to have it for spare parts and they didn't need the docs. I guess if I can't find it I can always tell him to bring it back - but drop it off at the other guy's place :)