Cheaper Mutuelle top up insurance for ALD's and Invalidity

Benjamin

There is a small mutuelle situated in the east of the Vendèe which offers a discount on monthly premiums if you have an ALD or are classed as an Invalid.

www.mutuelledemortagne.fr

We haven't tried them but if our present insurer puts next years' rates up by 7% again we'll give them a try.

I recently changed my car, house and health insurances and put them all with the same company. English speaking about 25 miles from where I live should problems arise.[:)] They have been great and so far I have saved 105€ per year on health, 60€ a year on house and 128€ a year on car insurances. A great deal considering the present financial climate. BTW I get more for less on the health insurance so even better!![:D]

tuppence

Dear Benjamin/Sunday Driver.  Please forgive me ignorance but what is ALD is this an illness of long duration?  As you possibly know I am with my wife involved in related matters in that she has suffered from an illness of long duration for over 38 years and we too are with Groupama.  Because of our ages the joint premium is over 170 euros per month and I have simply given them the CPAM document with our reg details and the like and had not thought of anything else.  Also I would have thought that anyone suffering from a long term condition would not benefit but be penalised for their illness?

Dear Benjamin any news on the DLA front.  I have been absent due to lots of other commitments for some time but will shortly becoming involved with the argument with our friends in Blackpool.

Dear Cooperlola am I correct in assuming therefore please that ALD is indeed a maladie of long duration?

Hopefully I can get into Fontenay this afternoon and will speak to Groupama.

I can see the logic (now) in that matters relating to the illness are paid by CPAM at 100% therefore there is a saving to Groupama.  Is that the thinking please?

[quote user="cooperlola"]DR, as the state pays 100% for ALDs, thus your complementaire (which does not have to be a mutuelle, btw) pays less.  Hence a discount for ALD sufferers is quite normal and is offered by many companies.  Shop around, it could be worth it. [/quote]

My premium went UP after I got my 100% cover on 3 ALDs, so I don't think this is always the case..

[quote user="dragonrouge"]

Dear Cooperlola am I correct in assuming therefore please that ALD is indeed a maladie of long duration?

Hopefully I can get into Fontenay this afternoon and will speak to Groupama.

I can see the logic (now) in that matters relating to the illness are paid by CPAM at 100% therefore there is a saving to Groupama.  Is that the thinking please?

[/quote]

ALD does relate to long duration but only for a specific list of chronic,(life threatening ?) long term conditions. There is a list somewhere  which I hope someone will point you to (just going out). If your wife's condition is on the list then you have to apply for ALD status (normally referred to as " le 100%") through your medicin traitant.

[quote user="NormanH"][quote user="cooperlola"]DR, as the state pays 100% for ALDs, thus your complementaire (which does not have to be a mutuelle, btw) pays less.  Hence a discount for ALD sufferers is quite normal and is offered by many companies.  Shop around, it could be worth it. [/quote]

My premium went UP after I got my 100% cover on 3 ALDs, so I don't think this is always the case..
[/quote]

How did they know? We've never been asked and I thought it was illegal for top up insurers to charge more for pre existing conditions.

They weren't pre-existing, it was years after I first took out my Mutuelle.

I agree completely about the logic: it struck me as strange at the time, though of course it could be said that they still have as much to pay out on all the non-ALD costs. Just because you have cancer doesn't mean you don't go to the dentist.

All the same, there was a noticeable rise in the cost just after my first stroke.

It can also be argued that there are 'spin-off' problems not directly

related to the ALD, but made more likely. Falls, accidents in the home

etc..I am definitely more clumsy and likely to burn myself, and have twice broken bones. These costs (including X rays etc) are not covered by the 100% for the original  problem, so the Mutuelle picks up a bigger tab.

I have since tried 'shopping around'  (for example on the Figaro site I quoted elsewhere)  but don't find anything as good any cheaper, so perhaps they are gradually coming into line.

Thanks for the impetus of this topic though. I will see what I can negotiate.

[quote user="NormanH"]They weren't pre-existing, it was years after I first took out my Mutuelle.

I agree completely about the logic: it struck me as strange at the time, though of course it could be said that they still have as much to pay out on all the non-ALD costs. Just because you have cancer doesn't mean you don't go to the dentist.

All the same, there was a noticeable rise in the cost just after my first stroke.
It can also be argued that there are 'spin-off' problems not directly related to the ALD, but made more likely. Falls, accidents in the home etc..I am definitely more clumsy and likely to burn myself, and have twice broken bones. These costs (including X rays etc) are not covered by the 100% for the original  problem, so the Mutuelle picks up a bigger tab.

I have since tried 'shopping around'  (for example on the Figaro site I quoted elsewhere)  but don't find anything as good any cheaper, so perhaps they are gradually coming into line.

Thanks for the impetus of this topic though. I will see what I can negotiate.

[/quote]

I meant pre existing  the renewal of the policy rather than pre existing to taking it out at the start.