Train travel - the cheapest way to travel?

muscoka

Hi

Not sure if this is the best section for my question.

I need to transport my family - 2 adults, 3 kids to Eurodisney from Angouleme and would like to know the chepaest way to do this on the train. I am aware that booking a while in advance offers the best deal on the TGV, but we are travelling in 10 days time as we have managed to get a late deal with Eurodisney.

There seems to be a bewildering array of annual travel cards and other items. If anyone can provide a concise explanation I would be very grateful.

Many thanks

Muscoka ...........

Just seen your thread & out of interest, had a look on the SNCF website.

Not cheap!  Making the assumption that date of travel is Tues 3rd, it's a 3hr journey and would be €227.50 and that's just the outbound. Return the same day is the same price, slightly less for the following day.

There do appear to be cartes enfants and cartes 12-25, but from the look of it, they cost from €49 upwards and may well not be worth it unless you have other trips planned.

At this short notice, it looks as though you're in to €400-ish for the family. If you really want to use the train (which is understandable), you'd do well to pop in to the SNCF shop (boutique) in your local town and see what they can suggest. You never know. 

Thanks, that was our next plan.

We will do so and I will post what we find out.

Further to that, after some exploration of the forum there appears to be be a lack of info on train travel in France, unless someone can let us know otherwise... so if there is anyone out there who can provide a description of the various deals on offer re. travel cards that would be helpful.

As I said I will post what we discover, and thanks again for your response.