Company Name (Marque)

Scarymary

I have just returned from the Chamber of Commerce and have started the ball rolling to obtain a SIRET to work as a gardener/caretaker - just as a 'Reel Simplifie' - small affair type thing. I was aksed if I wanted to give myself a 'company name' and (probably stupidly) replied that I did. I have now got to check-out whether or not there is anybody else registered with the same name (simple enough in Blighty, just contact Companies House and do a search....) but what do I have to do here. Any advice would be appreciated.

Hello, I don't really think that for a small entreprise such as yours that it is really worth the trouble... I trade as Le Jardinier Anglais...(how original) I have one internet domain and searched the local yellow pages before registering. I am not a company but an entreprise individual and so I could change my trading name as often as my pants if I so wished. (weekly...) Your financhial regime makes no difference, you are not a company. You are a private individual and likely to be a micro entreprise. Don't believe all they tell you as read, the C.C.I are very well intentioned but if you followed everything they told you you may die of confusion before you earn a single cent!

I recommend you sign on as unemployed first as 3 months before registering can give you access to benefits known as 'renumeration minimum insertion'  357euros per month for a single person. You apply for this at your Marie.

If you are unemployed for more than 6months in france but have worked for 6 months during the last two years any where and can prove such with paper, then you may apply to be exempt from cotisations for the first year!

You must be able to prove you have worked with pay slips, p45 and references.

If you survive the 5day stage at the C.C.I you will have gained alot of knowlege irelevant to your situation but usefull to enable you to understand the french system.

Not all who dwell here are middleclass and comfortably off.

I came here to be with my french lass, I had little enough in the U.K but here I have the assistance of my french family and the state to start my business. I have taken my place in society, started a business and am paying my way as my entreprise takes off.

Your comment is out of place, unwelcome and shows a distinctly uneglitarian  attitude. Are you saying that only the moneyed classes are welcome here? I wonder what you are like in the flesh... all flesh no doubt!

Back to work...

As John said, do have first a look on www.societe.com to see if already your company name is used.

Then, if you want to register your company name properly (but of course that will have a cost), you can register it on www.inpi.fr (Institut National de la PropriĂ©tĂ© Industriel). Then, nobody else could use your name for the same kind of business.

chin up

Sabine
www.en-toutes-saisons.com

Thanks for the advice - I'm going to www.societe.com straight after this. I've got to say, I did not intend to start up on-line mud slinging. As my son would say "just chill you guys"! No wonder men get problems with high blood pressure!

I object too Ty.

So you are suggesting that someone comes here with nothing claims unemployment benefit that they won't get........ will they. And they won't be able to rent anywhere either as we all know how that works. And then go onto the RMI and likely CMU. Only they will get xxgger all if they are under 25.

And add to that you say  they should remain unemployed here for 6 months on barely enough to feed themselves. Just so that they can start a business and get out of paying for a year. Start a business with what. 

AND only having worked 6 months in the last two years.

Sounds like very bad advice to me and you obviously were lucky and have been taken into the bosom of your new family.

From TU, with no blood pressure problems.

I used my UK buisness name with a slight change in France - no problem.

I run a registered business in France, have run one for the last 20 ish years in the UK and have never had a hand-out or loan from anyone - so I am with TU and TY on this.

Lets not forget that your 'free gift' from the French gov is actually out of tax that I and other businesses are paying. A nice level playing field is all I ask for - tipping the balance does no one any good and when you suddenly have to pay all the cottesations that we have to pay, how will you cope then?

If your business idea is a good one and will work, then you don't need handouts,  you 'may' need a loan but that is another matter.

Low blood pressure here also.

The C.C.I has offered the information, rather than being viewed as a sponger 1st class with honours I am simply taking what is offered to help me start my business which will then pay back into the system.

Here is how it goes... No mortgage, aged 30, got a van, trailer and all materials to start up in my chosen business.

Have worked 3 months over Xmas period night shelf stacking during the last two years back in the U.K which gives me plenty to live on here for the summer as well as providing the 'paperwork' for the French authorities.

Signed on upon return (this does not give you immediate access to benefits it just registers your situation)

I worked one hour cheque employee which gives me access to benefits.

Now all this gives me access to zero cotisations during year one and the R.M.I gives me something to live on whilst my business builds up.

You can apply for a reduction in your cotisations if you ask...

It is not a question of 'tipping the balance' but simply a helping hand.

I will cope with the cotisations by simply paying them from my business... How else?

I laugh at you all!

I have been laughing all day as I cut grass... What a funny lot you are to 'object' to some-ones situation!

'Look a gift horse in the mouth and then tell the giver you don't ride horses as they are too lowly'

Stuff and nonsense to the lot of you!

Sign on as unemployed and use the time to research your business/attend courses/plan/forecast etc and drum up a client base before you register so you have a flying chance of success. 

Still laughing...!  

I have been laughing all day as I cut grass... What a funny lot you are to 'object' to some-ones situation!

'Look a gift horse in the mouth and then tell the giver you don't ride horses as they are too lowly'

Sign on as unemployed and use the time to research your business/attend courses/plan/forecast etc and drum up a client base before you register so you have a flying chance of success. 

Still laughing...!  

Still laughing...!  

No mortgage at 30. So does this mean that you rent? Or you had enough money when you came to buy outright?

I think that you are giving out all the wrong signals to people.

For those that rent or are considering coming here with very little money and are unemployed and have been for some time. Then I would say don't do it. It would be nigh on impossible to get somewhere to rent without a job, eg a studio to rent around her costs 300 odd euros a month. It would be nigh on impossible to buy somewhere with next to no money. The french unemployment office wouldn't give you anything for the first three months. And if you are under 25 they wouldn't give you the RMI either after those three months. And the RMI was brought in for people in dire circumstances, like you can't be in those when you are younger than 25. The RMI is not a lot of money, it would be very hard to live on that in France.

Maybe someone with savings or some help would manage on it and manage to sort out a new business. If you don't have a back up then you would be in really dire straights.

TK, this is just your circumstances, you obviously had other means or help initially.  I would not recommend any of the following.

I recommend you sign on as unemployed first as 3 months before registering can give you access to benefits known as 'renumeration minimum insertion'  357euros per month for a single person. You apply for this at your Marie.

If you are unemployed for more than 6months in france but have worked for 6 months during the last two years any where and can prove such with paper, then you may apply to be exempt from cotisations for the first year!

You must be able to prove you have worked with pay slips, p45 and references.

YIKES I’d better not invest in that leaseback after all. Don’t want to be crucified for getting government handouts (or is that incentives?).

I don’t think for one minute that Ty was suggesting that the OP purposefully made herself unemployed but that if she was already de facto unemployed it would be better to register as such officially as there would then be incentives to start in business. Governments provide these incentives because it gets the stats down, doesn’t cost anymore than the welfare costs would otherwise be and it just might turn a recipient into a provider. If anyone is worried about having to compete against businesses that are being subsidized in this small way then they should ask themselves if they should be  in that business or in business at all.

When I started my own business I found the first 2 years very tough because:

1) I only had about 1/3 of the money that I really needed.

2) Unlike Albi, all of my family bar one were pushing up the daisies by that point.

3) Finding out that I had started a business was an open invitation to the local lowlife to raid my house and van.

4) New startups are commonly preyed upon by predatory suppliers and fending them off took up a lot of time that could have been better spent making money.

It took me 2 years of living on dole money wages to get up to critical mass. In the first year I got an Enterprise Allowance Scheme grant  and in the second I recieved housing benefit. These small payments made all the difference (I nearly went under for the sake of ÂŁ200 once) and enabled me and my future employees to pay loadsamoney back into the treasury kitty.

I know that some people will still have have a problem with state aid for startups but the fact remains that it is a far more efficient use of public money than throwing cash at the likes of Rover.

No mortgage at 30 is the result of working hard and saving hard. Something thats becoming a bit of a lost art today...

Rode a bike, grew my own food, few expensive habits and lived in a touring caravan from 20 to 30 years old. Bought an old house in Yorkshire dales, renovated it then sold and bought here.

Sorry, wrong type of person here again...

I have read again some of the replies...

There is finance at zero percent available for new entreprenures who have been unemployed and fit the criteria. When was the last time you 'Gurus' went to your C.C.I...Eh?

You must be able to prove you have worked with pay slips, p45 and references

Not all who dwell here are middleclass and comfortably off.

I came here to be with my french lass, I had little enough in the U.K but here I have the assistance of my french family and the state to start my business. I have taken my place in society, started a business and am paying my way as my entreprise takes off.

No mortgage at 30 is the result of working hard and saving hard. Something thats becoming a bit of a lost art today...

Rode a bike, grew my own food, few expensive habits and lived in a touring caravan from 20 to 30 years old. Bought an old house in Yorkshire dales, renovated it then sold and bought here.

So this all makes perfect sense then.

[quote]What are you trying to say then Teamup...? Why attack me for giving my version of the advice I have been given? Are you a weak little bully type hiding behind your computer...? A negative, pessamistic...[/quote]

I am afraid that it seems that TU is not the bully here.

TU has spent more years than most of us here paying her taxes and charges and she has a right to her view and should not be insulted because of it.

British people who come to France with no work or visible means of suppport, live in hovels or caravans and expect to be able to get the RMI and other assistance are a bit of a sore point in some parts of France.

I'm certainly not putting TK in this bracket - joining a French family and starting a business puts him apart from the spongers. And I'm sure his advice is good if you sign on according to the conditions and have a sound business plan for your new enterprise. But it's easy to see how misunderstandings can occur.