ENGLISH CHILDRENS BOOKS

La Doretie

[quote]Hi I'm thinking of selling English Childrens books. Do you think there is a market for this? Nothing huge, just a bit of pin money? Any comments would be great. Thanks, Liz[/quote]

My Mum & Dad buy mine from Amazon or via Grandma & Grandad from Tesco's.

Can you compete with them?

Lots of love

Daniel (Aged 5) - Dept 22

Thank you very much Daniel for your reply!

I would have quite a few books in stock, so Mummies and Daddies could look at them first, before they buy, making sure that the pictures and text are set at the right age etc.    I'm hoping this would be "one up" on Amazon.   I think this is particularly important with educational books.

Thank you again!

Liz (and Pippa 6 and Harry 4)

Amazon France do have a fairly wide range of English language books. They also allow you to return books if you decide that you don't want it for any reason, within a certain time period.

I wish you luck, as I love books- but I'm really not that sure you will be able to make a reasonable living from it.

I order most of my books & DVD's from Play.com.  Its free postage to France and most of the stuff is cheeper than Amazon UK and especialy Amazon France for english books.  I always check the prices between the sites.  The return policy is good as well.

I don't think it would be worth it Russett, unless the people you where trying to interest did not have internet access. 

With Ref the childrens books, I recently got my son a load of Sat books to make sure he keeps his hand in on his english and to check they covered the same stuff in school here.  That might be the best kind of stuff to look into.

Hope this helps

Jan

Hi,

Thanks everyone for the replies.  I think I am going to give it a go.  It really is only for a bit of pin money, and to give me something else to think about, other than the house, the garden, and learning french!  The starter kit costs very little, and it gives you quite a few books.  If nothing much comes of it, it will just mean my children have some nice new books - so nothing lost. 

If anyone is interested in having a look at their range, once I'm up and running - please let me know.

Thanks again,

Liz

I sell adult second hand paper backs once a month and it proves very popular, and its only for pin money plus I like meeting people. People come back every month and I do a buy back policy also. The customers are tending to use the sales as a meeting place for a coffee and chat also and have made new friends and contacts in the process. So give it a go I would say.

It depends on your income and personal situation, tax man said up to 12740 euros no tax, and it is the same as selling in the uk at a car boot everyweek, do all the car booters pay tax? I don't think so, nor do french or english here who sell on vide greniers etc.

I thought the position for selling second hand stuff would be similar to the UK eg no tax etc.

BUT as the original poster is hoping to sell new books, would this not be classed as a business ? Also wouldn't she need to ensure that she made sufficient money every month to pay the required tax/ social security fees? If so, she will surely need to make far more money every month than her post implies.

I think that the pin money thing in France doesn't really exist. I reckon viva is right and that whether money is being made or not the likes of the ASSEDIC will want their money if a business is being done.

I was even told by a friend who is a salesman that selling goods like tupperware had to be registered, never mind Ann Summers stuff!

I can't comment on the 'legal' side to it, but was talking about this recently with my sister who runs a big nursery.

She was having a moan about her staff, as they were whingeing about her book buying policy, which is 'see it, hold it and read it', before buying.

They just want to sit around with a cup of coffee and order online, which I do understand, they work very hard, but they get paid for their time to go into town and search for books.

Anyway, I agree with her policy, I like to hold and scan a book myself before buying, and I did that with my sons books too.  

Make enough contacts with English people and you could be well away.

I think the original poster may have to declare her business but unless it makes more than a certain amount she wouldn't get involved in Cotisations etc. Please check !

However I have done this in the past and the reality was that my kids had lots of good quality books but that actual cash was scant. Its not the companies fault, but you naturally want your kids to have good books and there are often new ones, you also want copies of more books they than initially supply because many people want to actually see a book before purchasing (like Tresco's sister)and so you increase your stock.

( Yep - I have also had a cupboard full of Avon and Tupperware in my time )

The 'up' side is that socially it is good and these books (Usborne) are very good quality.