Combi boilers

Russethouse

There was some discussion about these on the old forum, and as we are thinking of changing to one I thought I would ask for opinions here. By combi I mean a gas boiler that feeds the central heating and heats water on demand, rather than having a hot water tank.

One of the reasons for the change is that our bathroom is very small and I would be able to get rid of the tank (I think ?)and possibly put a shower in. (we have a shower but its en suite,and with two grown up kids at home another shower would be good)

If I did that what type of shower would I need ?

BTW its for the UK ( I know this is a French forum but I would value your opinions)

There is loads of info in the UK about these. If you ring Energy Efficiency on 08457277200 and they will send you The Little Blue Book of Boilers.

Our combi has a small tank in it, which is incorporated into the boiler unit, rather than just the water passing over the flame to heat it. We always have hot water and I've been very pleased with it.

Hello Gay.

When we lived in the UK we had a Baxi combi-boiler and it was wonderfully efficient as well as economical.  The boiler itself was sufficiently compact to be hung behind a wall unit door in our fitted kitchen.  It heated 10 radiators and provided unlimited supplies of hot water.  Unfortunately we never got round to changing the shower which was electrically heated so can't help you there.

Sue

[quote]There was some discussion about these on the old forum, and as we are thinking of changing to one I thought I would ask for opinions here. By combi I mean a gas boiler that feeds the central heating a...[/quote]

hello gay. Worcester boilers are a good make allso for spares and service.Mira showers are a fine reliable product,you can allso alter the cartridge on the back to suit high and low pressures.Most builders merchants stock them.happy plumbing.ps speaking from experience of useing both products.

My partner who is a plumber, tells me that Combi boilers are very good but can be expensive when they break down.  There are various ones on the market some which offer a small tank within the boiler which provide hot water immediately upon opening the tap (others have a delay before you get hot water at the tap).

Worcester (0870 5266241) and Vaillant (01634 292392) are good makes and he has also been told that Ariston are recommended. Most boiler manufacturers sell Combi's including Potterton which is now part of Baxi (01772 695504) and Glowworm (01773 828300).

New regulations in April 2005 are likely to state that all new boilers should now be the condensing type. These are more expensive but a lot more efficient.

For further info on condensing boilers and regulations phone the energy efficiency hotline on:-

0845 7277200

Hope this helps

Jax  

[quote]Thanks for the advice - little blue book of boilers sounds good !At present we have no water tank at all in the loft (its still in the airing cupboard, the original position in this house I believe ) ...[/quote]

The combi boiler runs off the mains water pressure so no power shower pump etc is needed.On a gravity head system, ie, cold storage tank in the attic space and hws cly on 1st floor you normally need 1 metre head pressure to work the shower,which in laymans terms is from the bottom of the storage tank to the shower rose should be 1m giveing you 1pound psi.[about minimum to work a shower decently]hope it makes sense happy plumbing.

I had a look at a few web sites, including British Gas, so I may get them out for a free quote - I think the pump has gone on this system, and although I know its not too major to replace it, we have talked about a combi for a while now, so maybe now is the time.

Of course to get rid of the airing cupboard - tank etc will involve making good the ceiling and floor etc, we've just got to start somewher I suppose!

Looks like the Britsh gas models are Worcester/Bosch so might be worth going that route.

Thanks everyone

Gay,

Whilst I am not trying to knock British Gas, who are good at maintaining gas heating systems but bitter experience has meant I would never use them for installations. This is because you do not know who they will get to do the work and the finishing may be a lot to be desired. I would consider asking around for the name of a good plumber who does installations when at least you will know who is going to do the job and may even be cheaper.

Baz

They are coming to give a quote, but I do have some mis givings about them. However it will only be the boiler, I don't think rads etc are required

The problem is any GOOD, independent plumber in this area can virtually name their price and time scale! I have to say we have had some dreadful experiences with plumbers too (water spurting out of pipes like a fountain,straight from the mains in our office full of computer stuff and the guy standing there saying, oh dear the pipes are old - doh - this house was built in 1930 - what did you expect???)

( My sister tried to get her son onto a course that would have lead to a plumbing qualification - full, its almost a license to print money!)

I can't find the web pages now, but last week I came across a great site that showed UK organisations that gave grants / discounts for new economical boilers - I was amazed to find that my local council is part of the Big Green Bolier scheme and would give money away. Do a search before signing the cheque and I'll try and find it again!

Also, now may be the time to think about a bit of solar. A lady I was talking with yesterday says that she had two panels put on her roof in February had it has fullfilled all her hot water needs since - that's in Swindon! (Solar is my latest campaign... it takes a good 24 hours to heat my french pad up in winter... if I could let some solar panels "tick over" all through the winter.....)

[quote]I had a look at a few web sites, including British Gas, so I may get them out for a free quote - I think the pump has gone on this system, and although I know its not too major to replace it, we have ...[/quote]

Are you sure your pump has gone or lack of use over the summer?turn the system on,loosen the screw on the front of the pump{a little drop of water will come out]with a screwdriver see if the impeller turns if it seized give the pump a couple of taps it normally does the trick, changing pumps for no reason is quite a sharp practise.happy plumbing.

I have had a Worcester combi boiler for 10 years and would definitely not recommend it.

The neighbours all had the same boiler and the British Gas van is obvious very frequently.

The boiler broke down on average about 2-3 times a year.  If it was not for the maintenance contract it would have cost a fortune.

Another thing to bear in mind is that if your water is metered it requires a greater throughput of water to reach the correct temperature.  There is always a lag time.

Hi,

We had a Glow worm combi boiler which heated a 3 bed semi and we also ran a mixer shower above the bath which provided quite a good shower. 

We also had B/Gas service plan, they 'serviced' it over the 3 years we had them. Each time I complained that when the hot water was on the boiler made a very loud 'whooshing' noise, to which the engineer said was normal with these type of boilers.  Finally, when the shower began to fluctuate in temperature, I called a local plumber(recommended) who came out took one look (listen), and said it was the inflow valve. He fixed it in 20 minutes, it had been turned to almost closed position!

So much for B/Gas and their laptops that they bring with them!!

Go for the local guy, if you can get him.

We've got to sort out how to work our heating at the French house next month, it's that Geothermic system so I assume it's run on electric, but we could not figure out how to have just the hot water on last time we were there!

Regards,

Bob

Re Johnmarshalls posting about grants etc: I duly had a look at the web site and phoned a guy at Big Green Boiler Scheme. The way he explained it to me is that they buy in such vast quantities that they are able to get the same sort of discount as British Gas (for instance) So by going through them you get the boiler at a better price than perhaps just the local independant plumber/heating engineer.

He reckoned as a ball park figure for the total job, to double the cost of the boiler and add VAT.

Which means the boiler would cost considerably more than the whole system did when we had it fitted (probably shows that it and me are getting old !!)

Many thanks to all

[quote]They are coming to give a quote, but I do have some mis givings about them. However it will only be the boiler, I don't think rads etc are requiredThe problem is any GOOD, independent plumber in this ...[/quote]

You need to contact the Quality Mark Web Site they will give you the name of a good gas fitter in your area who is registered with them,  This fitter will give you a guarantee and a proper contract.  I know this as my husband is registered with them, they are inspected every year so the QM scheme know they are reputable and usually at a reasonable price.

I would never use British Gas to fit a boiler their prices are really expensive and I agree many plumbers charge the earth.  Take heart, there are reasonable priced, good gas installers out there, I know, I am married to one

Paula

[quote]They are coming to give a quote, but I do have some mis givings about them. However it will only be the boiler, I don't think rads etc are requiredThe problem is any GOOD, independent plumber in this ...[/quote]

You need to contact the Quality Mark Web Site they will give you the name of a good gas fitter in your area who is registered with them,  This fitter will give you a guarantee and a proper contract.  I know this as my husband is registered with them, they are inspected every year so the QM scheme know they are reputable and usually at a reasonable price.

I would never use British Gas to fit a boiler their prices are really expensive and I agree many plumbers charge the earth.  Take heart, there are reasonable priced, good gas installers out there, I know, I am married to one

Paula

In the end I had the pump repaired and had an estimate of around £3000 to change to a condensing combi. According to the guy who came, my gas pipes are not big enough (????) for a combi and he would prefer to put the boiler in the bathroom, just where I wanted the extra space !

Another forum member has sugested altering the tank to a Megaflow, so I can have an extra shower.

I'm thinking about both options