Bathroom extractors

Dog

I have just had an ensuite and a family bathroom put in.

The extractor fans just duct into a space above the ensuite and a boxed space above the shower in the bathroom.

I have been told that all French extractor fans exhaust into the roof space - I dont have one, but even then I'd have thought you'd be asking for condensation problems.

Surely the extractors should be ducted to outside?

Advice please?

Our unit is in the roof too, then it's evacuation pipe is in the roof. As long as they have it venting out of the roof then it is fine. I love this system. Great way to keep a house 'aired', as long as you don't mess on switching it on and off ofcourse, ours in on all the time.

[quote]T.U.- ours is on all the time , our electrician said this was now a requirement.We have 2 speeds but no "off" button[/quote]

Exactly the same for us!!  We've never even needed to use the higher setting.  On one occasion we did have water pour back down from the vent into the shower but on investigation it was because one of the "spider's legs" (that's what I call the unit in the attic) had a kink in it and condensation had accumulated and backed up, but since we straightened that out we've had no further problems.

They are excellent aren't they?We have just put an extractor hood over the hob in the kitchen because it looks nice, we didn't really think about it but if we had  we would not have bothered as it isn't really necessary.The one the electrician put in( that connects to the other bathrooms/loos) is brill,we didn't need the "extra" traditional extractor hood in the kitchen- it does look nice though

OMG - hope hubby doesn't read this thread as I've just bullied him into buying and installing a rather lovely looking inox cooker extractor chimney. I forgot about the VMC in the kitchen!

Our bathroom extractor is separate to the VMC. It goes out through the roof and we have a pretty little terracotta chapeau sitting on the roof tiles. Actually the noise drives me mad when I'm having a book and whiskey bath. Where is the magic switch TU (the thing comes on when the light is switched on - may have to resort to candles occasionally!)?

The upstairs shower room is connected to the VMC system.

VMC systems are available in the brico sheds (although ours was installed by the electrician).

An interesting thread.

I am currently in the early stages of upgrading 3 bathrooms on three floors (none of which have current ventilation). I have no where for ducting to go apart from the top floor which could go directly into the roof, condensation from new showers is a concern however the solution mentioned in the thread above does not seem suitable for our situation.

The top floor bathroom is built into a sloping roof with little space in the void between the plaster and the roof tiles (certainly no large enough for someone to get into and install equipment), and the exterior walls are plaster over slate/stone which is likely to be extremely difficult to vent through.

My options seem limited, however any thoughts or comments would be gratefully recieved.

Regards,

Mike

www.peak-times.com

We have a slate roof and I've not seen any vent pipes locally sticking out of a slate roof. Does anyone know if the metal plate and sleeve type arrangement used in the UK is available in France or are they made specially to fit the roof slope?

Best Regards

Alan.